Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, October 09, 2011

I Am Easily Distracted, Once Again

I had the best intentions of installing fenders on the Handsome, yesterday.  But, I got distracted by my Raleigh XXIX.  I had disassembled it, last year, and used the parts on other bikes.  It hung in the shop building as a frame and fork for way too long.

Eventually, I decided that it needed to become a bike, again.  So, I ordered some wheels, and started setting parts aside.  As I sorted the parts in the shop, preparing for the yard sale, I found a stem here, a seatpost there...I had a set and a half of Avid BB5 disc brakes that I had gathered up one caliper at a time, and some mismatched levers, etc.

I ended up with everything I needed except for a cartridge bottom bracket.  I had an old-school bottom bracket, but it just wasn't appropriate for the bike.

Last week, I ordered a UN-54 bottom bracket off of Amazon.  Yesterday, it showed up in my mailbox.  So, I stuck it in the frame, to keep it from getting lost.  One thing led to another, and I did a 90% build on the bike while I was at it.

Today, I put a headset together out of the bottom half of a threaded headset, and the top of a threadless, and cabled up the brakes.

It ended up with an original-version Gary Bar, with the shallow drop, my old Frankensaddle that I repaired a couple of years ago, after the nose tore off, and 42c Kenda WormDrive cross tires.  I am running it with a 36/20 drivetrain (48 gear inches, approximately), which should allow me to ride both offroad and onroad, without too much difficulty.

Hopefully I will get a bit more use out of it now that it's back on the road.

Now, maybe I can get started on the fenders on the Handsome...

x

2 Comments:

At 5:25 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

I think I could be distracted if I could go out in the garage and simply "find" enough parts to build most of a bike. Looks quite productive to me.

 
At 5:37 PM , Blogger Jon said...

It is both a blessing and a curse, at times...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home