Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, October 01, 2011

Drill Press

When The Denver Spoke went out of business, they sold off their shop tools and supplies.  I bought a big load of tools, including a nice drill press.  Since I have had it, I have had it sitting on a stool, in the shop building.  It was usable, but its perch was somewhat pecarious.

Recently, at work, we got a new triaxial chamber for our resilient modulus machine.  It was shipped to us in a nicely-built plywood and lumber shipping crate. After I unpacked the chamber, I started looking at the crate, and my imagination took hold.  I asked my boss, Paul, what we were going to do with the crate.  He told me that it was destined for the dumpster, and that I could have it if I wanted it.

Yesterday, Paul hauled the crate to my house for me, so that I wouldn't have to drive the Dodge to the lab and back.  This morning, I got the power tools out and went to work.  I sawed the panel out of one side of the crate, bolted a couple of the 2"x4" shipping braces to the sides and then cut a plywood shelf to sit on top of them.

Then, I screwed the top back on, and bolted the drill press to it.

Voila:


I have my drills stored on the bottom shelf, with bits on the upper shelf.  On top of the stand, I bolted my bench vise down next to the drill press.  Behind the press, I have the batteries of my rechargeable drill charging up.

The shop building is slowly coming together.

x

3 Comments:

At 12:22 AM , Blogger Mark said...

Fancy!

 
At 5:30 AM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Way to re-use what you have. I'm glad you installed the box in the correct orientation (arrows pointing up).

Do you have a spoke threader? I saw one for sale somewhere a while back, but they were asking close to a thousand bucks. That would be a useful tool, for someone who might build a bunch of wheels.

 
At 3:47 PM , Blogger thomas said...

Love it. I'm sorely in need of a garage. Apartment living is terrible for the handy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home