Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Getting Ready For the Sale

Built up a few bikes, today, for the yard sale. 

This is an Iverson ten-speed.  I got it as a junk bike, with drop bars and down-tube shifters.  I swapped bars and stem, threw on some tourist-style brake levers, friction thumb shifters, and new tires/tubes, then topped it off with gold metal-flake Schwinn grips and an Electra sprung saddle.

It is a lugged frame, but the rear dropouts are attached with the crimp/spot weld method that you see on old Huffy bikes.  The alloy Bluemels fenders are probably worth more than the bike, itself.  But, I love that green paint, and I think the bike will work well as a neighborhood cruiser.

I picked this Schwinn World Sport up for a guy who ended up finding another bike without telling me.  In the old days, I would have converted this to a fixed gear or single speed.  It has horizontal drops and a bolt-on rear wheel, so it would lend itself to conversion.  As it is, I am trying to build bikes I can sell at yard-sale prices, so I just cleaned it and tuned it.

This little 53cm SOMA (no connection to the currently-available SOMA brand) came to me on a trade.  Some cleaning and lubing, a few adjustments, and some bar tape got it ready to ride/sell. 

I figure I'll mark the green bike at $100, and the other two at $50 each.  That gives me room to bargain, and still get my labor time and parts cost back.  As I said in my Craigslist ad, the "flippers" are going to love my sale.  I have stuff priced so that someone could buy it and resell for a profit. 

I think of it as Craigslist Wholesale...

I have a couple of mountain bikes to get ready, tomorrow.  Then, I will be as ready as I will get for the yard sale.

x

4 Comments:

At 8:50 PM , Blogger Mark said...

I wish I could find yard sales like this around me.

 
At 10:03 PM , Blogger Mark said...

I was kind of looking for a Phil Wood hub. 36 hole 100mm. Have anything like that in your yard sale? I definitely wanted good sealed bearings and I also went ahead and bought a 36 hole rim.

 
At 11:06 PM , Blogger Jon said...

No Phil Wood. Sorry.

I think all of my nicer hubs are 32 hole, anyway.

 
At 3:15 PM , Blogger Mark said...

Thanks for the effort. I am looking at a couple on ebay. I think I will find one sooner or later.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home