Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

New Mixte Acquisition

Here's my latest find (courtesy of my buddy Mark). It is a Fuji Dynamic Ten. The paint and decals are in great shape, as is the chrome.

It currently has drop bars on it, a broken front derailleur and the rear derailleur is off of the bike for some reason. I have it, but it was hanging by the cable when I got the bike.

The wheels have nice hubs, but steel rims. So, they will be replaced, for sure.


Good-looking bike.
-
I'm torn as to how to build it up. Should I go the single-speed cruiser route, or a more of a period-correct 5 or 10 speed? Maybe something completely different...
-
If you are in the market, of course, I'll build it to suit. Just let me know...
-
In closing, let me remind you to be careful about where you leave your bike, even if it's locked.
-
I needed to remove a lock from a used bike I recently got. This is the result of a grand total of 30 seconds with an angle grinder.


(And yes, some thieves carry battery-powered angle grinders with them. The battery version isn't quite as quick as the plug-in model, so it might take 45 seconds to get through an old Kryptonite lock like this one.)
Be careful, out there.
x



15 Comments:

At 8:37 PM , Blogger katina said...

how long for the New Yorker Kryptonite lock?

 
At 8:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, that Fuj is pretty when I enlarge the image.. They sure did have some gorgeous paint colors on Fuji's back in the 70's.
I vote for a sweet pair of straight or riser bars, pretty grips, a (copper?) bell and one of your nice leather saddles...

 
At 8:59 PM , Blogger Noah said...

Not to second guess you, but aren't you leery of acquiring "used" bikes that are freelocked?

 
At 9:53 PM , Blogger Jon said...

The bike wasn't freelocked. The lock was in its holder, and looped inside the frame. It came from the junkyard pile.

 
At 6:06 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

Katina,nothing is safe from the determined theif.I saw a pic recently where a cargo bike was locked with a New York chain and a cable.theives actually cut down the metal railing with a battery sawsall and took the piece with them!

Jon,RLGL has the right idea,a Brooks saddle and cork or leather grips,with some copper or gold to go with that beautiful paint color,make her a really classy lady.

 
At 8:15 AM , Blogger Charlotte said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:17 AM , Blogger Charlotte said...

My sister in Boulder is in the market, I'm forwarding this to her! We've been trying to find her just the right bike for over a year now.

Can you tell us the frame size? That's been part of the problem...

 
At 8:19 AM , Blogger Charlotte said...

Oh, and my 2 cents:

Singlespeed cruiser, with chrome fenders and natural cork grips.

 
At 9:25 AM , Blogger Jon said...

Charlotte,

I will measure the frame when I get home from work, this afternoon. It would be great if it worked out for your sis!

 
At 12:38 PM , Blogger Charlotte said...

I keep coming by to look at this bike again. Here's my inspiration, be sure to click through the link posted there to get to the rest of the photos of that beautiful bike.

Sigh... happy bike dreams.

 
At 2:26 PM , Blogger Jon said...

That is, indeed, very tastefully done. Is that the style your sister is looking for?

 
At 5:05 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Charlotte,

The Fuji is a 47cm frame with a 24" standover height and a 21" effective top tube. Email me (jjgrinder at msn dot com)and we can discuss further.

 
At 6:39 PM , Blogger Charlotte said...

Thank Jon, is 47cm from the center to the end of the seat tube?

My sister needs something more like 57cm (which is what I ride). It's hard to find a mixte of that size. Raleigh made a 21", but it's rare. You see why we've been looking for almost two years.

Thanks for taking the measurements, whether you go with a more girly build or 70s solid gold, it's going to be a beautiful bike.

 
At 12:24 AM , Blogger Jon said...

It's a 49mm (19")to the end of the tube.

I'll keep my eyes out for a bigger model.

 
At 2:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do these mixties keep falling into your lap? I canĀ“t believe it.

I say a good 10 speed is in the works for it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home