Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Another Mixte

As I was building Trisha's Peugeot, last week, Carol let me know that she was in the market for a mixte, as well. She wanted a single-speed version, built up for relaxed rides around the neighborhood, with a rack for the occasional spur-of -the-moment purchase.

I had this Raleigh Record mixte sitting in the pile, so I started gathering parts.

From this...

to this.
I got some Nexave-hubbed cross wheels (the Nexave hubs are disc-compatible, which is neither here nor there, but they have a nice high flange) for a very reasonable price, and I mounted up the white tires I had on the orange Peugeot. I replaced them, on the Peugeot, with some cream-colored 700x35 Schwalbes.

A Nitto bar, with white Hunt-Wilde grips was installed with a high-rise stem salvaged from the chrome snow bike.

This is a Chinese-made copy of a Brooks saddle. I wasn't aware that it was Chinese until it arrived. I'll use it, but I'll avoid buying another. It sits fine, and seems well-made, but I just have a thing about slave labor.

This Raleigh-branded crank and the bottom bracket from the StumpJumper Monster X replaced the stupid front-freewheel unit which came stock on the Raleigh.
So, there you have it...

a nice little neighborhood runabout.
I love Mixtes.
x






12 Comments:

At 1:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is very pretty, can't wait to take her for a spin! Thank you. C

 
At 4:15 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

From Crappy to Classy,another nice build Jon.Love those white tires.

 
At 4:17 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Great looking bike. I think the handle bars and the cream colored tires really make the bike a classic. My wife has a really old Raleigh Record that's been sitting around collecting rust. I know what to do with it now.

Good job!

 
At 8:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks good! The white tires are a nice touch. Can't wait to get mine together. :)

 
At 9:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jonny------

I like the super clean look. Nicely done.

 
At 12:16 PM , Blogger Christopher said...

That saddle looks like an unbranded VO saddle. Made in Taiwan, so not quite slave labor. However, if you don't want it, I will gladly take it off your hands. ;)

 
At 10:10 PM , Blogger MELI. said...

♥so cute!

 
At 7:19 AM , Blogger Charlotte said...

Just gorgeous! Love the stem and handlebars.

She's going to need fenders eventually, a bike that pretty can't stay in the garage half the year. But right now she's gorgeous!

 
At 10:27 AM , Blogger Jon said...

Well, we have 300+ sunny days per year, here in Denver. So, it's not quite the problem, here, that it might be elsewhere to go sans mudguards.

Plus, I don't think fenders will even fit on the bike, with the 700x40c tires. So, I think the bike will stay "naked".

 
At 4:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That bar is awesome!

 
At 9:14 AM , Blogger Erich Z said...

what kind of Nitto bar is that? It's absolutely perfect for this bike, but I've never seen it before.

 
At 9:57 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Those are the Nitto Promenade B-601
bars. I picked them up at Cycle Analyst, here in Denver. Ben's Cycle has them, online. About $45.00.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home