Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

An Aggravating Day, But Somewhat Productive

Yesterday was one of those annoying days when nothing seemed to go right. I spent most of the day out in the bike shop, dropping tools, knocking over open boxes and spilling the contents, and just generally getting righteously pissed off. Still, I did accomplish a few things:

I removed the rest of the paint from the snow bike and buffed the chrome with a drill-mounted wheel and polishing compound. There are a few flecks of paint still on the bike (particularly in the weld beads), but it's good enough for a bike purpose-built to ride in snow and slush.

I aklso decided the final fate of the Miami Vice bike. I am going to send it to Tennessee and leave it at my parents' house. That way, I will have a bike of my own, whenever I visit, and my cousin Carol can ride it with her kids, any other time.
I installed a cartridge bottom bracket and an old Specialized crank I had lying about...



which, coupled with a BMX freewheel and an old 105 derailleur (acting as a chain tensioner), turned the bike into a 3-speed. Should be more than adequate for the uses to which it will be put.
I also got a couple of bikes tuned up for the upcoming backyard swapmeet, which is scheduled for April18 and 19, weather permitting. I'll be advertisingf it on Craigslist and, of course, I'll put up a reminder (or three) here.
Today, I have more bike work to do. I really hope to have a better day in the shop than I did, yesterday.
First, though, I have a French Press full of Raven's Brew coffee and some toast with pear preserves waiting.
x


1 Comments:

At 2:59 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

Bling,Bling! that snow bike sure looks good all polished up,it makes me want to take the buffing wheel to my spaceliner.

I always wanted to make a three speed like that I just thought it was a little weird to not have the cassette back there.That was until I found the three speed cassette for a Sturmey Archer 3spd hub.I built it into an old Mtn. bike frame with a triple on the front,so it was still a 27spd bike with three ranges of nine gears.It seemed like I almost always left the three speed hub in 2nd gear and I wore out the internals.Maybe it wasn't such a good idea, but it was interesting and fun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home