Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Heat Guard

When I first got the Scrambler, I removed the stock heat guards which were on the mufflers, and at the bend in the pipe just below the gas tank. I made replacement guards from aluminum, and bolted them on, in an effort to visually lighten the bike. The stock shields were quite bulky looking, and dominated the drive-side profile of the motorcycle.

I left the stock heat guards on the pipes, where they pass below the seat (and my leg, as I ride). But, I never really cared for them, because they made the pipes look as though they were a larger diameter than they actually are. To me, that gave the exhaust a "Harleyesque" look, rather than the 1960s Scrambler aesthetic to which I aspire.

Brad and I were talking about that, the other day, at the coffee shop. The next day, I removed the stock heat shields, and made some new ones from aluminum angle stock. Then, to keep my snowboard pants, which I wear on cold mornings as I ride to work, I bolted a piece of wire mesh in place to keep the nylon off of the pipes. It worked well, but the mesh was not durable enough, and it was a bit too small.

So, today, after work, I stopped at the hardware store and picked up a few things. I came home and made a new heat shield:

This what I came up with.


It's nice and sturdy, and it keeps my leg well away from the hot pipes.  I think I might make a matching version for the mufflers, and also replace the front guard with something else, since the stainless steel finish kind of clashes with the polished aluminum.

What do you think? Does it look good to you, or is it too obvious that I trimmed the rack from a Weber grill to fit...?

x

3 Comments:

At 8:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing about repurposing stuff is that, unless someone is a repurposer themselves, it never enters most people's heads that a particular item used to be anything other than what it is now. So I think you are okay.
(this is Joy, by the way - I need to get an identity)

 
At 11:04 AM , Blogger Jon said...

Well, that is the beauty of it, I suppose. Back in the 1960s, there weren't a who;e lot of off-road aftermarket parts available, and guys just made do with what they could build. They made skid plates out of coal shovels, covered footpegs with garden hose, etc.

I am leaning toward completing the set out of the grill rack material, and just calling it good.

 
At 5:57 AM , Blogger Pondero said...

It looks very good, and I wouldn't have guess where the material came from. Celebrate creativity!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home