Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

NAHBS 2013 Post #3

Settle in, get yourself a snack and a beverage ... there is a a largish number of photos in this post!

 Risse Racing brought a fat-tire suspension fork. It consists of their standard fork legs, with wider triple clamps to make room for the huge rubber.

 A good-looking porteur from Geekhouse.

 The front rack is the best part of the bike, to me.



 REEB bikes were all over the show, serving as mounting points for parts and accessories.

 Lots of Gates belt drives, this year.


 Katherine, from Demon, doing her best Banana Girl pose. She was hoot.


 This couple and I kept bumping into each other, as they would accidentally walk into my shot, just as I took a picture. I finally told them I was just going to take their picture, on purpose, and get it over with.


 Click on this and make it big, so you can read it. It is the description of the bike below.

 This is a bike I have designed in my head, a hundred times over. I think of this as the "if I could only have one bike" bike. If you added in clearance for 29er mountain bike tires, you would basically have my FUNK, which I designed as a do-everything ride.

 These guys build bikes in Moab. I had never heard of them, but their bikes were very cool.

 Sweet Klunker-style from Matthews. I would happily ride that to the coffee shop!

 I really like this bike that Daryl came up with. It is a variation of the "69er" concept (26" rear, 29" front); it has a 26x3.7" tire on the rear, and a Knard 29x3.0" on the front. It is a system which works for motorized dirt bikes, and seems to work well in this situation. I may be building up a front wheel for the Mukluk, at some point...


 Check out that fender mount!

 Here's the whole bike.

 This is the Moots trail maintenance bike, complete with chainsaw mounted on the rear.


 The handlebars are about as wide as my couch is long.

 The Farrhoots, ultimate adventure bike. The build of this bike was chronicled on Facebook.



 The Farrhoots saddle art was designed by a tattoo artist, then tooled by a leather-crafter. I liked it, a lot.

 And now, more shots of the vintage Steve Potts mountain bike!



 This thing had the cleanest, shiniest old-school XT equipment I have ever seen.

 James, from Blacksheep, brought a few bikes to the show, including this titanium full-suspension fat bike.

 I wonder if I could get a 30-year mortgage on a bike...

 More wood (rims and stand).  Bike was okay, wheels were cool, but I really want the stand!

 This handlebar is sealed on one end. The ends are titanium shot glasses, and one of them acts as the cap for the bar/flask.

 Purty!

 I get this vibe from women, all the time. But, this was the first time I had ever gotten shot down by a bicycle.


 Here is another shot of the flask/bar, along with the two shot glasses. The whole setup costs, as I recall, over $130.00,

 Daryl, doing his thing.
Seriously, check out zambikes.org!

 I need a World Traveller Brooks saddle.


 Katherine, Blaine, the rest of his compadres at Anvil and I all managed to sip a bit of whiskey, even in the absence of a handlebar/flask combination. It was a nice way to close out the show, for me, as I knew I would probably not be back for Day 3.

All in all, I really enjoyed the show. I know that a lot of the ironic "cool kids" blogs have been pretty snarky about the bike geekery involved, but I don't care. I love bikes, and people who are passionate about them. I've never been able to travel to the show, when it has been in other cities, so I was quite happy that it happened in my home town.

There were a of of bikes I didn't feature, but I am sure that every bike there is on a blog, somewhere, if you want to search them out. These bikes and accessories were merely the ones which fell into my range of interests. I hope that you enjoyed the pictures.

x

3 Comments:

At 5:58 AM , Blogger Pondero said...

thanks again for the excellent, and thorough report!

 
At 12:03 PM , Blogger katina said...

Wow - James's bike looks hard core...of course it should, he's an awesome welder.

 
At 4:17 PM , Blogger Wilson said...

Eye candy. Wow - thanks for these posts. I am a bit behind on catching up with everyone and this is a wonderful surprise!
I DO like that Carletti.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home