Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

NAHBS 2013 Post #1

As some of you know, I worked the Zambikes booth at NAHBS, on Friday. Please click on the link and check it out. It is a great organization, serving a great purpose.

Daryl only needed me the one day (which ended up being about 13 hours, by the time we had dinner, on our way home), and my exhibitor's badge was good for all three days.  So, yesterday, I jumped on the Light Rail train and rode up to the convention center, to take some photos.  I had shot quite a few with my cell phone, on Friday, but I wanted to get some better shots with my actual camera.

I took over 100 photos, yesterday.

I won't be posting every one of them, today. But, I will share a few...

 I managed to get readable pictures of the display tags for these first two bikes, from Ellis.

 I read a blog, occasionally, from a Minnesota bike commuter who owns an Ellis.  He has nothing but good things to say about his bike.
 Judging from the looks of these two bikes, I think that I would be the same way...

 Stainless steel is not a common frame material. It is a bit difficult to work with, from what I hear.

 This bike just caught my eye, because it satisfies my longing for a utilitarian commute/tour/adventure rig.

 There were two themes which I came to think of as dominant at the 2013 NAHBS.  One was wood (as well as bamboo)...

 The other was the new Surly Knard 29x3.0" tire, which is on this tandem.

 Just a beautifully made, classic (and classy) bike.

This fat bike frame caught my eye, not just because it was painted on only one side, but for the beautiful fillet brazed joints that the unpainted side showcased.

 More woody stuff. The handlebars and seat beam on this bike are ex-trees...

 Another classy bike which was pleasing to my eye.

 This bike just looked so much ike something that you might find in my shop building that I had to take a picture. I think I will end up with something similar, eventually ... perhaps with 650b (27.5") wheels. I have a pair sitting around, with knobby tires on them, already.

 This was one of the few over-the-top, "let's show 'em what we can do" bikes at the show. It's called "The Lincoln", built by Vibe Cycles, in Boise, Idaho. I liked it, as a showcase of what they can do. Not sure I would want to ride it on salty/slushy roads, though!

 Lotsa curvy stuff going on, here. These guys are from North Carolina, I think. Dig the reflective tire sidewalls!

You can probably tell that I like this look...

 Tea time, at Cambridge...

 Another bike that looks like something I might have built  up.

 The Brody eBee ... more of a lightweight electric motorcycle than a heavyweight electric bicycle, to my eye. I really like it!

 The jackshaft setup, alone, is just too cool.

 Mission Control.  There is a series of posts about the building of this bike on CycleEXIF. Here is the first one.

 Love the heart cutouts on the flange. They had all of the card suits, or a "full house" version with all four on the same hub. Unfortunately, I don't recall the name of the business, and I don't seem to have their card.

 Steve Potts brought one of his 1985 bikes. You will see more of this bike, later. I am partial to this style of mountain bike, and the vintage stuff (that was new when I started mountain biking) just knocks me out.

 Lug companies and parts companies made a showing, as well.

 DiaComp
 More DiaComp. Nice to see an alternative derailleur, outside of the offerings of the Big 3!

 650b wheels and tires are coming along. There are a number of new off-road tires in the "tweener" size, from a Conti, Schwalbe and a few other manufacturers. It's nice to have a bit more selection available in what, for a long time, was something of a red-headed stepchild of a tire size.

 
 I will close with this, for today. Dave Stoller's bike!


I will post more, later.


x

3 Comments:

At 2:51 PM , Blogger bikewrider said...

You're right the first few sloppy rides on that Vibe Lincoln would be a bit painful (but isn't it that way with any new bike), but you got me imagining the patina on all that copper after a few years or oxidation.

I'd love to see that bike again after a few years of hard riding. Hopefully it gets to see some proper action and isn't just a pretty show piece.

 
At 5:51 AM , Blogger Pondero said...

Well done! I knew we could count on you to bring us the most interesting bicycles at the show. Thanks!

 
At 6:38 AM , Blogger Jon said...

Stayed tuned. There are many more to come.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home