Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Five Hundred

As I said in my last post, today has some personal significance for me.

Today makes 500 days in a row that I have commuted by bike. I have not driven to work in 2-1/2 years, and that adds up to 8653 miles not driven.

As some of you know, this all started out as a challenge, to myself, to ride to work every day in May of 2007. That went by so easily that I extended the challenge through June, then further extended it to span a whole year.

After that year went by, I shot for 500 work days. I like to keep the goals attainable, but significant. Merely planning to never drive to work, ever, sets you up for failure. Conversely, challenging yourself on a weekly basis loses its meaning, after a short while.

My new challenge is to increase my mileage to 10,000 miles of consecutive bicycle commuting. That should take about 6 more months, if everything goes as normal.

This goal provides incentive for riding during this upcoming winter.

I'll decide on my next goal, as I approach the target mileage.

Wish me luck.

X

8 Comments:

At 12:24 PM , Blogger JPTwins said...

awesome! congratulations.

 
At 1:27 PM , Blogger Charlotte said...

That's awesome, congratulations!

 
At 4:11 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

That is an amazing accomplishment! Congratulations!

 
At 9:04 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

I like the idea of setting frequent, smaller goals rather than one huge one. Seems more attainable that way, and more immediate.

Anyway, congrats! Great job.

 
At 8:04 PM , Blogger Doohickie said...

Congrats.

And good luck.

 
At 4:30 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

Good luck! Congrats! and heres rooting you on to 10,000 mi.

 
At 7:45 PM , Blogger Karl E said...

Good luck with the next goal and congrats on the milestone!

 
At 7:25 PM , Blogger Matt said...

You kick butt! And good luck!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home