Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sweet Hitch Hiker

This little guy hitched a ride on my sleeve, this afternoon. He's about a 3/4 of an inch long, and colored black and yellow. He really looked like a wasp of some sort, but he lacked the papery wings.

I stopped and took some crappy cell-phone pictures (of which, this is the best one), and continued on. He stayed with me for about a mile and a half.

I'm always glad to help out.

x

3 Comments:

At 9:49 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

My entomologist friend says it looks like Locust Borer Megacyllene robiniae,but he doesn't know if there are Black Locust trees in Colorado,they usually attack young or damaged trees

 
At 3:18 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Yes, black locust, robinia pseudoacacia is distributed throughout the lower 48 states and into British Columbia, so I bet it is the Locust Borer.

On a more personal level, I've often wondered about the distribution of insects by afixing themselves to humans. We have periodic eruptions of boxelder bugs that I sometimes provide transportation for, lately it's been mostly just grasshoppers that hitch short rides.

On large scale these rides aren't far at all, but to an insect like the Locust Borer a mile or more is probably like a 1,000 mile journey for us!

 
At 6:45 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

A journey of a thousand bug miles begins a single landing on a gray fuzzy sleeve.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home