Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Standing On Its Own Two Legs

Myles, over at Rat Trap Press, has a cool photo of his Long Haul Trucker (since sold) as his header photo. In the photo, the bike is sitting on a two-legged kickstand. For some reason, this has appealed to me since I first saw it.

So, when I got the rack and fenders on the red bike, I decided to also install one of those kickstands. I had sold something or another on eBay, and had the necessary funds in my PayPal account, so I ordered one up.

When deployed, the two legs hold the bike upright. This is a lot more stable than a normal kickstand arrangement.

When folded up, both legs sit side-by-side on the non-drive side, where the single leg of a standard kickstand would be. It's pretty slick, for something that many people consider quite dorky.

Ah, well. I've always been pretty much a dork, anyway.

Too bad the thing weighs about as much as the bike. Seriously, it's pretty heavy. But, if I was concerned with weight on this bike, it wouldn't be sporting rack and fenders, much less big-ole BMX pedals. The emphasis of this bike is on utility.

x

8 Comments:

At 7:32 PM , Blogger 2whls3spds said...

Excellent choice ;-)

Same one I use on my "City Bike"

Lightweight bikes are overrated. I will take durability over lightweight any day of the week.

Aaron

 
At 5:55 AM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Looks cool to me!

 
At 6:22 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

I too prefer durability over weight on most of my bikes,my Surly big dummy has an xtracycle kickback 2 legger kickstand with homemade extentions from an old pair of handlebars.I could probably stand on the snapdeck and hula with 50 pounds of groceries in the wideloaders before it would flip over.

Jon, I got mt OYB bags they are great!I put them on my townie,one on the bars and one on the seat.I have to make some kind of quick release mount for them so I can switch between a couple of bikes readily.Thanks for the link!

 
At 5:17 PM , Blogger Rat Trap Press said...

Nice! I wish I had remembered to take the kickstand off of the Surly before I sold it.

 
At 11:29 AM , Blogger Jon said...

Aaron: Your City Bike is most excellent, sir. I have some of those panniers that I use as removeable carriers. They are nice and easy to mount/remove.

Frankenbiker: I think an Extra Cycle or Big Dummy will probably in my future.

I'm digging my OYB bag, as well, and I'm thinking about getting one for the front, just to balance the bike out.

Myles: Yeah, that's a pretty expensive item to leave on a bike, unless you factor it into the sale price.

 
At 12:12 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

The bike looks awesome. I may get a kickstand for my LHT at some point.

I haven't had such great luck with my OYB bag. It's a nice bag, but I have not found a good way of mounting it. I haven't tried too hard, though, and I love the bag anyway. It's spent most of its time as a camera bag.

 
At 9:14 AM , Blogger ZakT said...

I need one of those for my Raleigh sports 3 speed.

 
At 7:57 PM , Blogger Sox said...

Those kickstands are cool. They are hard to find tho'. Good for you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home