Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Conflicted About the Weather

For my whole life, I really haven't enjoyed autumn. I know that I've mentioned this before, here on the blog. I always just see the onset of Winter, the death of Summer. Give me Spring, any time.

That said, I have really been enjoying the Fall weather, this last little bit. The mornings are crisp, and I leave the house over an hour before the sun peeks up over the eastern plains, washing the mountains with pink, then gold.

I roll through cool, moist air, getting chilled by the water-cooled air as I cross Cherry Creek and then open up my shirt on the climb up to Alameda. Foxes cross the road, in a hurry to go forward, but looking over their shoulders at me as they run.

In the afternoons, the sun warms me when I stop at intersections, but I am cool, almost chilly, as I roll. I've even been enjoying afternoon tailwinds, a sign of cool winter air moving down from Canada.

But, the grass is still green, and the trees still have leaves. The sky is that particular blue that you only see as the sun is moving a bit south, but hasn't quite gotten as low on the horizon as it does during the cold bleak of Winter. Even though I know that Winter is coming, I can't mourn the passing of Summer as long as the weather is so accommodating.

x

7 Comments:

At 8:54 PM , Blogger Dottie said...

I've always loved the fall! That may be because I grew up in North Carolina, where winters were fairly mild and summers went on forever. Now that I have the opposite climate in Chicago, I admit to being a bit nervous by the onset of pre-winter :)

 
At 9:51 PM , Blogger katina said...

Well put, but I am partial to Fall.

Down here it's been seeming as if the death star isn't as intent on frying us. And that makes everyone happy.

Well, that and 7" of rain over 4 days.

 
At 12:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

My wife loves the fall season and it's weather. I'm partial to summer with nice weather and warmth. It's a nice change since I know all winter will be spent wrapped up staying warm on the bike commute up the Platte River to downtown.

 
At 12:15 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

To bad we just can't skip Nov. thru March and just go from fall directly to spring.Just think spring flowers,summer sun, Ocktoberfest and then flowers again. Oh well, I can dream can't I?

 
At 2:07 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Fall is my favorite season. I love the weather, the change of colors, etc. It can be a little depressing knowing that winter, and cold weather, is coming, but I love cool weather.

 
At 6:15 PM , Blogger Doohickie said...

It's easy for me; I love autumn. It's always been my favorite season, one of renewal and new beginnings as the school year begins and all the major holidays are just around the corner.

We've had a lot of rain lately and I've been just loving riding in it. Of course it's still warm and the rain hasn't been too heavy. It seems to calm drivers down though, especially when they see a crazy biker out among them.

 
At 12:09 PM , Blogger Bobby D. said...

I'm with you. I hate the fall. I find it rather depressing to see the days get shorter as we head into the fall. I like spring but really love the days of summer :-).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home