Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

This Is As "Monster" As It Gets

Click pictures for BIG.


I was going to try 29x1.8" Bontrager tires, but Frankenbiker informed me that his 1.8s measured 52 mm at their widest point. That's the same as the 29x2.0s I had tried, and which rubbed the frame and fork.

So, I bought these Maxxis Wormdrive 42c tires, instead. I really would like some 46-48c tires, but nobody seems to make them. The only 700x45s I could find were studded, and I have a pair of those already.


So, while the tires aren't quite as big as I'd like (I wish I had my Smoke 700x45s back), they are plenty big enough for off-road use. So, the MonsterCross Stumpy is ready for virtually anything, from street/road riding (with the the 700x35s) to all-terrain rides.

Luckily, the wheels interchange without even the need to readjust the brakes. Pretty handy.

And, with my studded 45s, I think this may well become the new snow bike. I just need to mount the rack and bags.

Now, I just need some spare time to get out and ride for fun.

x

3 Comments:

At 9:58 PM , Blogger Noah said...

Holy /crap/ that's sexy!

 
At 7:08 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

The bike looks great Jon.Panaracer makes some 700X45c tires that are really knobby,they would probably work as well-- and Bontrager makes a 1.75" that might clear and is almost as aggressive as their 1.8's.

 
At 7:49 AM , Blogger Will Handsfield said...

Pretty Slick.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home