Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Birthday Ride 2008


Click for BIG
Every year, I go for a birthday ride either on or near my actual birthday. The rule is that I have to ride at least as many miles as my age, that year.




I started this on my 30th birthday, and I think I've hit every year, since.



Yesterday, I took the LeMond Zurich (originally my road bike, then a cross bike, now a fixed gear), and tooled around the bike path loop. I had thought of actually doubling my age, this year, but the bad knee started complaining at about mile 50. So, I cut it short and headed back to the coffee shop for a couple of Italian sodas.

The weather was pretty nice. I left the house with the temps in the upper 20s, but under sunny skies. As I rode, the temps warmed, and I stripped off a couple of layers as the day went along. I ended up in a wicking long-sleeved tee and a thin wool sweater, over cargos (with bike shorts and capilene under them). (I've become a proponent of wearing "normal" looking clothes, when on the bike. Of course, I still wear the shorts on longer rides; I just keep them out of sight.)

The only thing that could have made the ride better would have been some company. Unfortunately, no one was available, so I rode alone.




I used my new pedals, to see how they work. I like them, a lot, because they have a big platform like my BMX pedals I use on the commuters, but they weigh about a third as much. I got these with some of the money my parents sent for my birthday, so they are "birthday pedals".

I had tried to order these from Rivendell, a couple of times, but they were always out of stock. Richard, down at Cycle Analyst, had them in the case, Friday, so I bought them from him. Sorry, Grant.

Finally, I took the photos in this post with my new Nikon Coolpix camera, which I got for my birthday, as well.

x

8 Comments:

At 3:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,
Those pedals are BLING!!!
Are they pretty comfortable? (Not sure if they are for touring or other?)
Happy B-day

 
At 5:06 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

HAPPY B-DAY JON!!Those pedals are pimpin'damn!I bought a Fugi/Marlboro (Not that I support the tobacco industry or anyhtin' like that)folding bike at the Comm. garage sale today...I cut off the link that keeps it from folding and made the cheapest swing bike the world has ever known!!!!! The absolute most fun I have ever had for $10! Believe me that's saying a LOT!!I will have to send you some pics soon.

 
At 10:43 PM , Blogger Jon said...

RLGL: The pedals are very comfy. I'd say they would be great for touring, or anything where you don't want the maximum ability to spin (nothing to hold your feet in place at hyperspeed).

FB: Sounds like fun. Be sure to send pix of the mayhem/fun.

 
At 10:53 PM , Blogger Phatatude said...

Happy Birthday bubba... Take a ride in your birthday suit :)

 
At 5:19 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

WIll do Jon, as soon as it gets cleaned up,painted,adjusted, and ridden in the memorial day blossom parade nearby in Chagrin Falls Ohio on May 25th.Soon I will send pics of my flamed out hot rod tall bike,a spin cycle my friend Reed's rat rod chopper and maybe a spin cycle,also we have a couple of LOOOONG! wheel base recumbent choppers and a folding bike made out of clothing racks,wheelchair parts and a household door hinge.It is named "SHAKY SUE" and you don't want to lose concentration when you are riding her.Or else you'll get "SHAKY" fall off and "SUE" the guy that built it.

 
At 9:40 AM , Blogger Jon said...

Phatatude: In the world of birthday suits, I am less Armani and more double-knit leisure. I'm not sure the world would appreciate my riding in it. ;-)

 
At 9:48 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

Happy belated birthday! Cool pedals, and I'm looking forward to seeing more photos with the new camera. What model is it?

I like the birthday ride tradition. I'd be more inclined to do that if my birthday wasn't in February. Then again, that could make for some serious adventures ...

 
At 5:14 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Apertome:

It's a Coolpix S210, with the black anodized case. 8 megapixels, 3x optical zoom, macro capability. Much nicer than old HP photosmart 435.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home