Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Where Did All the Bloggers Go?

Facebook, apparently.

One of the things I love about blogging is that there is a community, of sorts, which builds  up between people who are interested in similar things. If you search for things that interest you, and start checking out the blogs on the subject, you can occasionally find like-minded people with whom you make a connection.

In fact, I have a few people (some of whom I have met personally ... some not) whom I consider as friends on the basis of our bloggy interactions. Unfortunately, a few of those people have ceased blogging, altogether. I keep up with what they are up to, kinda, through Facebook. But, that is a pretty bare-bones version of their lives, if you know what I mean.

I miss the details, to be quite honest.

The thing is, I would never have met these people if they weren't bloggers. Google searches on "bicycle commuting" don't connect you to Facebook pages.

I miss you guys. And I wonder who else I am never even coming across because of the whole "social media" craze.

Anyway ... I know that it's no longer cool, but I will continue blogging (and posting links to the blog on FB, by the way). Hope to see you, soon.

x



8 Comments:

At 11:46 PM , Blogger MELI. said...

where the details are.
so well said

i dont like facebook much at all. i find tons of past bloggie friends returning to flickr, navigating pinterest and my most used platform: twitter

i miss blogs too =)
many new platforms, instagram and the etc.s to come and continue to take over each other

xxomeli

 
At 12:53 AM , Blogger adventure! said...

I hear ya. I haven't been the bestest of bloggers these past few months, but we seem to have had an epidemic of "last blog post ever" as of late. This needs to stop.

 
At 10:36 AM , Blogger LvilleTex said...

I don't quite have a grasp of the phenomenon, but, yes, the blogosphere has just petered out. No simple explanation, but I sure have seen lots of great bike things b/c of blog posts, and met interesting people such as yourself (via Michael, who doesn't post anymore to much chagrin). Lo que sea, I presume.

 
At 11:54 AM , Blogger Steve A said...

Facebook is only a small step up from Twitter.

 
At 6:34 PM , Blogger katina said...

I think some people (myself included) just lose the blogging mojo. I still routinely blog on my garden blog (because there's a theme), but my regular blog has fallen to the wayside.

 
At 9:32 PM , Blogger Jerome said...

I've been thinking the same thing lately. It bugs me. Both that my favourite blogs are slowing down, and that mine is all but dead.

I hate FB and rid mine over a year ago. And now I find I have no social media, but I used to be so happy with my social media world simply being blogger.

I still think in terms of blog posts sometimes. But somehow the pictures stay in my camera and the post never materializes. I kind of think it's because I started as a bike blog, but rarely get out on a bike these days. I feel that it would be a misleading of sorts because of the namesake of my blog. Maybe I should just keep doing it anyway. If you'll keep blogging, I'll keep blogging. Maybe we can make a fit of a turn around.

Thanks for keep on blogging. I do read every post of yours and as always, I quite enjoy them my friend.

Cheers!

 
At 10:48 PM , Blogger RANTWICK said...

Like so many, I've been slowing lately too, although I have zero intention of stopping altogether.

Sadly, the less time I spend blogging, the less time I spend reading others too...

I am always hoping to start posting like mad again, and hope springs eternal.

I'm with you in appreciating the deeper interaction provided by real writing as opposed to the short shots preferred by so many.

 
At 7:33 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

I'm definitely guilty of this myself, although largely I haven't been riding. Trying to fix that as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home