Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, May 05, 2013

One More Down

I decided, last week, to get off my butt and finish up some projects. Today, I got this one done:


It was originally a 1983 or '84 Schwinn Sierra (near as I can tell).  At that point, Schwinn was having their mtbs built in Taiwan, by Giant. Later, after Schwinn unexpectedly canceled their contract, Giant began selling bikes in America, under their own name. Some say that this was the death knell for the original Schwinn company, which couldn't compete with quality and price of the Giants.


It originally had a 6-speed cogset and a double crank, and has a "Twelve Speed" decal on the chain stay. (The High Sierra had a triple crank). I bought the frame and fork off of eBay, a while ago, to use the nice lugged fork on a project. Unfortunately, the steer tube was too short, and I ended up having to source another fork, which left me with this frame set.


So, I used the wheels I had built up with disc hubs (which were on my 650b conversion RockHopper) to build up a 650b fixed gear mountain bike. The RockHopper is going through a bit of a process, right now, for which I built up some wheels with non-disc hubs. More on that, later.


The 18.25" chainstays accept the 2.3" wide 650b tires with no modification necessary. (If measured the same way as a 26" mtb wheel, a 650b mtb tire is the equivalent of 27.5", by the way.)

The sloping crown of the fork, likewise, has room for the big knobbies.

The Tektro Oryx cantilevers have enough vertical adjustment to reach the larger diameter rim, so I didn't have to make reach adapters, like I did on the 650b StumpJumper I built a few years ago.


I geared it with a 38 tooth ring and a 20 tooth cog. This gives me a 52.25 inch gear, which is pretty good for off-roading. There is a 20 tooth cog on the freehub, on the other side of the wheel. If need be, I can turn the wheel around, and use the bike as a coaster singlespeed for faster downhills.

So, that's one bike off of the to-do list.

Oh, and there was a snake in my yard, the other day...



x

7 Comments:

At 7:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute little garter snake -- what did the dogs think of him/her? -Joy

 
At 11:08 AM , Blogger Jon said...

He was in the front, they were in back. Traditionally, though, Jack just ignores them. I've never seen Ozzie around one...

 
At 12:03 PM , Blogger katina said...

We (i.e. Shawn) found a black snake in our yard a few months ago. That was fun...thankfully the black snakes (much like the garter snake) are harmless to humans. Though doing field work a few weeks ago I finally got to see a cottonmouth in the wild.

 
At 3:20 PM , Blogger Wilson said...

Blech. Snake = gross.
Love the build though. Singles are so slick looking.

 
At 5:12 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Yeah, and I particularly like how the bigger wheels fill the spaces in the old frames. It makes the chain stays look more in scale to the rest of the bike, to my eye.

 
At 8:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

So... it's been a while now. Still like how it rides?
I have the same frame, meant for a commuter build or single-speed. Been leery of the slack angles and high BB.

 
At 7:00 AM , Blogger Jon said...

I love the way these old MTBs ride, particularly as on-road commuters. The slack angles lend stability when loaded (whether the bike is loaded with a rack and bags, or the rider is carrying a backpack), and the higher seating position gives you better visibility.

I do still like this bike, in other words. I have had a couple of people ride it and ask if they could buy it, but i still have it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home