Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Sizzling Bacon

That is how many people describe the sound of studded bicycle tires on bare pavement.  With the added acoustic resonance of the 4" wide tires on the Mukluk, my Southern-bred ears hear it more as sizzling country sausage.

Whatever gustatory imagery you subscribe to, the studded tires on the Mukluk were quite noisy as I rode back and forth to work, yesterday.  But, the studs stayed in the knobs.  I did lose one, but it was a stud which I had difficulty getting started into the rubber, and I think I kinda chewed the knob up as I screwed the stud in.

So, I think the studding experiment was successful.  Once there is some ice on the road, I will know whether or not the pattern and number of studs is sufficient.  I have plenty left over, if I need to add some.

x

3 Comments:

At 9:38 AM , Blogger Wilson said...

Sounds like they are more-or-less doing the job so far. Also sounds like it was a lot of work getting them in place, too. I'm sure when the snow flies they will demonstrate their true value to you!

 
At 8:58 PM , Blogger RANTWICK said...

Hoave you ever had metal studs before? They will blow your mind on hard ice.

I always think of rice crispies - my new studded tires are super loud to my ears too!

 
At 9:02 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Yeah, I have run both 700x35c and 26x1.95 studded tires on bikes for the past 4 winters. They have worked fine on the ice, but we tend to get this really weird, sand-like snow, here in Denver, too. The normal-sized studded tires are not too good in that kind of snow.

The big tires on the Mukluk are great for it, but not for the ice. That's why I studded these, hoping for the best of both worlds...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home