Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Actually Worked On a Couple of My Bikes, Today

I have declared a moratorium on bike work, for the most part, as I work on my musical project.  But, occasionally, I will still help out a friend.  Still, my own bikes are suffering from a bit of benign neglect.  Today, however, I managed to do a little work to both the Handsome XOXO and the Salsa Mukluk.

My Handsome had a couple of problems.  The short cage on the SunTour XC Pro read derailleur allowed for too much chain slap, and that was actually affecting the shifting.  I have enough chain on the bike to allow the big-big combination on the chainrings and cogs, and the short derailleur couldn't take up enough slack on the middle ring.  It would actually ghost-shift when I hit a bump in the road (and sometimes when I was torquing up a hill or through an intersection).  Also, the locking mechanism in the kickstand had broken, and I had to strap the stand to the chainstay while riding.


So, I installed this long-cage LX derailleur on the rear.  I bought it a couple of months ago, and then promptly misplaced it in the shop building. (Those who have seen the state of the shop can understand how this might happen.)  I stumbled across it, today, and decided I should install it while I still knew where it was.


I took the broken kickstand off and replaced it with the two-legged stand which was on the RockCombo.  I just don't like to have a commuter bike with no stand on it...

While I was working, I mounted the front fender on the Mukluk.


It's not the best looking installation I have ever done.  I fabricated the lower stay from aluminum bar-stock, and it actually clears the tire by a good gap on the front, even though it looks awfully close in this photo.  The curve of the motorcycle fender doesn't quite match the radius of the bicycle tire, and I can't seem to alter it.  I have heated it and tried to flatten the radius of the fender, but it returns to its original shape when it cools.  It still beats nothing, by a long shot, though!


The rear fender doesn't really protect the bottom bracket/front derailleur area.  But, it should keep me and the bag dry. 


In fact, since I used a rack as the fender mount, I can actually mount panniers on the rear, when the time comes to commute on it.

In other news, I am playing another set at Poppies Restaurant, this coming Monday, from 6:00 to 8:00 PM.  I am going to amplify the guitar, this time, and turn the PA up, just slightly, to carry the sound a little deeper into the bar.  The owner is nervous about the music being too loud but, as I pointed out to the manager tonight, I will still be quieter than the piano player who was there, tonight.

x

4 Comments:

At 11:27 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Sometimes having bikes requires you to work on them. I know my LHT needs some attention. The Mukluk provides an interesting challenge for fenders, it seems you've found something that works, although it DOES look like the front fender is rubbing.

 
At 6:55 AM , Blogger Pondero said...

I crossed a mostly dry creek bed during my Saturday morning ride and thought it would be a great Mukluk opportunity. A whole new world that I only get to glimpse from bridges.

 
At 7:52 PM , Blogger Shoot Film, Ride Steel said...

That Mukluk looks distinctly agricultural, like it should say "John Deere" on it. But I'm intrigued enough by them to poke at one at the store. Maybe after I clear out some space in storage . . .

 
At 6:53 PM , Blogger Brad said...

Dude...we need to fashion you some "campaign sign" fenders for the beast!!

Regarding the XOXO...when I opened the blog and saw the first pic I was hella confused....I thought you stuck a pie plate on the cassette!

bee cee

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home