Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Gooooaaaalllll!!!!

Well, I easily made my goal of riding the bike to work, all through August.  July and August days, combined, add up to 24 consecutive ride-to-work days.  I even rode around to do some errands, today, since I was off work but didn't want to break my streak of workaday riding.

It really wasn't too hard to get back into the groove of the everyday bike commute, but I would never have done it without setting that short-term goal of riding every work day, this month. It's funny how my mind works, sometimes.

I rode the Handsome XOXO on every one of those days, with the exception of this past Monday, when I rode the Salsa Mukluk.  The Handsome works great as a commuter, particularly now that I have replaced the problematic rear derailleur with a new Shimano LX. I did manage to finally get a flat on the front wheel, when I picked up a thorn which wiggled around and made a hole that wouldn't seal up in the Foss tube.  I patched it with one of the Foss adhesive patches, and it has not given me any problems, since.  The Foss tubes are expensive, but they have been a lot less flat-prone than anything else (Slime, Stan's, Mr. Tuffy, thorn-resistant tubes) that I have used to commute.

The mornings are growing cooler (even on 90+ degree days), and I am getting to work before the sun gets over the horizon, so I can definitely feel Autumn coming on.  It won't be long 'til Summer's gone...

Time marches on...

x

6 Comments:

At 7:22 PM , Blogger Wilson said...

Well done. I shall vicariously through your achievement!

 
At 8:34 AM , Blogger Steve A said...

Congrats! You gonna add September to the new string? I just checked. Cal Ripken, after ending his own legendary streak, came back and played in 128 games the season he retired.

 
At 10:47 AM , Blogger Jon said...

Maybe I should shoot for 128 consecutive commutes. That would get me into next year. I will have to think about that...

 
At 8:54 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Congrats on the goal!

Those slime tube flats really suck, especially if you're at mid-ride. Wet, slimy hands for the rest of the ride.

 
At 10:55 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I really like the Foss tubes. Slime canaletto such a mess...

 
At 10:56 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Canaletto? I really love auto-correct!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home