Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, June 17, 2011

How About Some Bicycle News?

When I got home from work on Wednesday, this was waiting at the door:

 Inside, was a 56cm Handsome XOXO frame and fork:

Pictured here with a direct ancestor.

The XOXO is basically a copy of the 1993 Bridgestone XO-1, although it is tig-welded rather than lugged, in order to keep it affordable.  So, it really is a closer copy of my 1992 XO-2, if you think about it.

Although it does have a nice lugged fork crown...

...and quite the nice mustache.


I think I have everything I need to build it up, except the headset.  I'll probably run down to Cycle Analyst, tomorrow and grab one.

I'll be using a mix of newer and older parts, some pretty classic and some newer style;  some black and some silver.  It's a vintage-style ride, but not true vintage (kind of like my Triumph Scrambler, if you think about it).  So, I don't think v-brakes and an external bottom bracket will be bad things.  I really just want this bike to work well, on-road and off.  It's going to get some riding...

I have another bike to build, this weekend, as well.  I'll be putting together a mixte for Carol's niece.  And, I have a gal coming over for some tune-up work on a three speed she just bought from Tony Gallagher.

And, I may be going mountain biking on Sunday.

I only rode the bicycle to work two days, this week, and I rode the XO-2 both times.  My Achilles Tendinitis is getting bothersome.  After the 40 miles in two days, it was inflamed and pretty painful.  Oddly, it feels as though I have a big blister running up my heel, when it gets inflamed.  But, the skin is fine.  For some reason, the pain inside my leg registers on the outside.

Still, I'm hoping that backing off a bit on the commuting and continuing my ankle exercises will clear it up.  Fingers crossed.

x

6 Comments:

At 6:34 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Damn, that is a handsome bicycle indeed. I've read about those a few times; looking forward to seeing how you build it up. Hope your tendinitis thing gets better!

 
At 6:57 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

Obviously, I'd like to see that handsome new frame built up and operating, but more than that, I hope the healing happens soon.

 
At 7:52 PM , Blogger Steve A said...

Perhaps the pain is a message to spend some quality time building that bike up while you heal.

 
At 7:58 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

It's the right color to become a classic bike.

I hope your tendinitis gets better soon.

 
At 10:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

with great moustache comes great responsibility.Take care of that tendon.

 
At 10:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need another bike like a hole in the head,but I have always wanted"along with many others I suspect"an original XO-1.Now I can have one better, a brand new one that I don't have to baby and worry about as much.Thanks Jon,I will be ordering my 60c complete right after I post this comment.

--Frankenbiker

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home