Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, June 05, 2011

I'm Calling It...

After more than four years, 828 consecutive work-days, and 14,327 miles of bicycle commuting, I am calling the game.  I have achieved every goal that I set for myself, and made bicycling my "normal" way to get back and forth to work.

Tomorrow, I am riding the Scrambler to work.

I have developed a case of Achilles Tendinitis, in my right leg, which makes it painful to walk.  I am doing calf-lifts and toe-stands in an effort to strengthen that area, but the constant pedaling is not letting the leg recover.

So, before the doctor tells me to stop riding, completely, I am going to cut back on the daily commute and see if things improve.  Bicycling will remain my "norm", but I am going to give myself the "out", when I need it.

Much like getting the first scratch or door-ding on a new car, the first day of non-biking seems like it will be the hardest.  I have enjoyed the unbroken streak of commutes, but I am not defined by it.

So, Friday was the end of that.  From now on, I will have some flexibility on the commute.  And, I hope to get a few more things done around the house, on the days I don't ride the bike.  It seems like I should be a little more lively, on those days.

I need to get Kyle's bike ready to take to him (new battery, new rear tire and brake pads, new speedometer and a stock airbox and filter), and get the truck ready for the trip, as well.  That trip is less than a month away, so time is ticking down quite quickly.

I hope I am not disappointing anyone (but I also know that this is not near as big of a deal to anyone else as it is to me).

Thanks for reading.

x

12 Comments:

At 7:08 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

I think you are right. It probably means more to you. For most of us, I'll bet your character/reputation is based on your "practice" more than a "consecutive ride streak". Breaking the streak DOES matter to me, but only because I can imagine what is going through your head. Push through it, and heal quickly.

 
At 7:48 PM , Blogger Steve A said...

That's pretty much the way it went with Cal, too.

 
At 10:04 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

I don't blame you at all. You've accomplished something quite impressive, but riding every day no matter what isn't really necessary. I was very stubborn about that myself for a while, but eventually, after looking at it practically, I have backed off a little bit. Like you say, riding is still my usual option, but I don't feel guilty anymore about using other options when needed.

 
At 3:56 PM , Blogger Karl E said...

We've never met. I rarely comment. But believe me, I've been inspired to push myself to ride as "the norm". It's difficult to give our bodies space to heal, but you've made a courageous choice. And you've changed my life for the better.

I'm still not a daily commuter, but I rode through the Michigan winter and continue to commute as much as possible. Thank you. Be well.

 
At 4:03 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Well the important thing is to get your tendon healed. Live to ride another day, or something like that.

Such a long streak is admirable, but sharing your commuting experiences on your blog and with friends and co-workers has, I'm sure, influenced many, many people to consider their commuting styles. Now that is an accomplishment!

 
At 4:39 PM , Blogger LvilleTex said...

Excellent run. You should be proud.

 
At 8:30 AM , Anonymous Jeremy said...

Good call.

 
At 4:10 PM , Blogger katina said...

yeah, achilles tendonitis can be a bitch. Shawn's been fighting with it since I made him do the 10k running class with me.

 
At 8:24 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Thanks for your support, everyone. I've been off the bike since last Friday, and I feel like I'm going through withdrawal. It seems awfully strange going to and from work without changing clothes, too...

Oh, well.

I have to admit to feeling guilty about enjoying the motorbike ride back and forth. I know that I shouldn't, but change is hard and this is a big one.

 
At 12:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The King is dead.
Long live the king!

 
At 11:12 PM , Blogger Christopher said...

Dude, you had me at one year.

 
At 1:38 PM , Anonymous welshcyclist said...

Shame you had to call time on your streak, but I too know how painful tendonitis is. I cycle commute 40 miles roundtrip 3-4 times a week, I've had all sorts of advice from putting up with the pain, cycling through it, etc., it still hurts. Yet I am loathe to stop cycling, I love it so much.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home