Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Fixed, Again

 I decided to ride fixed, for a while, on the commute.  So I got the snow bike down, and prepped it for summer riding.

I swapped the studded tires for the 700x35c SpeedMaxes that I had originally bought for the Panasonic MTB 700c conversion..,
I thought this would be a good opportunity to test out this racy leather saddle.

It is branded as Origin8.  It is a Cardiff/Velo Orange/Whoever Else Needs a Private Label Saddle from Taiwan.  I like the standard Brooks B-17 copy version, so I thought I'd give this one a shot.

The saddle comes laced from the factory.  This is a good thing with the short-trimmed skirts.

I rode yesterday, and realized that I had gotten interrupted as I was getting the bike ready for dry roads, and I forgot to re-gear it.  I was riding with a 34x18 ring and cog combo, spinning 120 rpm to go 15 mph. 

So, after work yesterday, I swapped the old Dura-Ace crank with the 45 tooth ring back on, and mounted a 20 tooth cog.  That puts the gear at somewhere around 67 inches, just about right for the terrain around Denver.

I had forgotten how much I like riding fixed gear. 

x

3 Comments:

At 9:15 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

Yeah, I like having a fixed gear bike handy. I also like my 67-inch gear. It is good to read of someone else thinking the same way.

 
At 10:02 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

Fun! I haven't had much chance to ride my fixed/singlespeed lately. too much other crap going on, and I've needed my fendered LHT many days, for commuting.

 
At 10:02 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

I meant to add, that saddle looks cool, I'll look forward to your comments on it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home