Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Bikes, Trees and Tomatoes

It's been a pretty full day.  Dave showed up at about 8:15, then Carol showed up at about 8:45 and we rolled out on the bikes to do a short coffee shop tour.  I rode my orange Peugeot fixed gear, Dave was on his DeBernardi fixed, and Carol rode my XO-2.  We stopped at Wash Perk for coffee and scones, headed up to the REI flagship store and had Starbucks iced tea there.  Then, back down the Cherry Creek trail to Steele Street, and back around to my house.

Dave headed home to do some yard work.  After sitting around a while, and eating, Carol and I were inspired to do some yard work as well.  We went over to the garden center, on Iliff, and Carol bought some ground cover and a tomato plant for her house.  I bought a maple tree, and a tomato plant, as well.


Carol planted the tomato plant for me, in my upside-down planter, while I planted the tree.

I planted the tree right-side up, though.  All the rain that we've had, lately, had softened the ground up pretty well.  So, I was able to get the hole dug, easily, and the tree was in the ground within 45 minutes.

When I moved into the house, seven years ago, there wasn't a single tree in the back yard.  Now, I have volunteer aspens, from the neighbor's tree, the maple I just planted, and some sort of "weed tree" that I dug up from beside my front door, a couple of years ago. 

I'm going for the Sherwood Forest look.

x

2 Comments:

At 6:20 AM , Blogger Pondero said...

From here, that's a nice looking tree. We've been slowly adding trees to our prairie home, but most start out the size of a pencil.

 
At 12:32 PM , Blogger Jon said...

That new tree is about 8 feet tall, and has about a 1-1/2" trunk. The "weed tree", on the far left of the pictures, started out at about pencil sized, a couple of years ago.

I am hoping to one day have the "shade cave" in the back yard that I currently have in the front.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home