Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, April 01, 2011

Less Windy, Today

The weather-guesser on the morning news pointed out that the wind was "only" blowing a steady 25 mph, instead of the 35 to 40 mph it had clocked, yesterday.  And, the temperature at 7:30 was already in the middle 50s, predicted to climb into the mid-60s by lunch time.

So, I took that to mean I should get out on a bicycle ride.  I haven't done a lot of riding, lately, outside of riding for transportation.  So, I felt the need to get out and put some miles on.

I rode down to Kaladi Bros. and had a coffee and scone to augment the bagel and cream cheese I had eaten at the house.  I figured I was going to need some fuel, if I was going to buck the wind, all day.  Turned out to be a good plan.

I rode on down to the South Platte Trail and turned north, into the teeth of the wind, and figured that I would just ride into the wind until I was tired, then I could turn around and reap the benefit of a tail wind on the way home.

As I rode, the trail was detoured at one section, avoiding the construction of the west-bound LightRail tracks.

This is the new bridge for the commuter train.  The tracks, heading west from town, actually follow the historical route of the trolley line which made Lakewood a viable suburb of Denver, a hundred years ago.

This shot shows where the bike path ran before the construction commenced.

I continued northward, past Confluence Park, and rode toward the intersection of the South Platte Trail and The Sand Creek Greenway Trail.  I briefly contemplated taking the Sand Creek Trail to head back south, but I decided against it.  I had never been any farther north along the South Platte, so I pushed on, just to check out the trail. 

I eventually came to an intersection with the Clear Creek Trail.

I believe that the Clear Creek Trail goes to Golden.  I will have to return, at some point, and go left at this intersection, to find out.  As it was, I turned right and continued along the South Platte.

The surroundings improved as I rode north and left the industrial sections of Denver and Commerce City behind.  The river was a lot more scenic, fields and reservoirs bordered the path, and Nature seemed to be a lot more in charge.

Eventually, I rode under 104th Avenue and realized I was in Thornton.  I was also right at 25 miles into the ride, so I sat down for on a park bench, beside a pond, for a minute to check my phone, and look at the mountains.

I turned south, and headed back toward home.  I was somewhat dismayed to find that I really didn't have a tail wind for most of the ride home.  The wind was actually blowing across my path, so I had a head wind for about 80% of my ride home, as well.

Just over 50 miles at an average speed of 14 mph (dang wind!).  I got a good workout, and I rode on some trail I'd never been on (and found another trail to ride, to boot).  I consider that a good ride, any day.

x

7 Comments:

At 6:54 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

Sounds like a great ride to me. Thanks for the report and the mountain view.

That wind can be sneaky. It has a way following one around the compass.

 
At 7:46 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Well, even with the wind, it's always great to get out!

 
At 9:27 AM , Blogger MandG said...

The Clear Creek out to Golden is an excellent ride and I highly recommend it! Until you get to Ward Rd-ish, the path runs through parks with long stretches which are nicely shaded.

There's a nice little climb right before dropping back down into Golden. Head over to the main street (don't recall the name, might be Main Street, heh) and there are plenty of places to get a quick bite to eat.

 
At 10:49 AM , Blogger Morry said...

next time you feel like you need some coffee and a scone come support a subscriber and visit us at Devil's Food (1020 S Gaylord- Wash Park) where I am a manager!

@MandG

When I ride out to Golden I always take 32rd Street there and Clear Creek back, as you said it is an excellent ride- one of my favorites

 
At 3:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the ride report. Having just bought a house at 35th and Steele, that's my regular weekend ride. Clear Creek Path to Golden is great and I enjoy how it opens up to the Western landscape just west of 70. Saturday's tailwind back to Denver made for a nice ride. Made me feel like I was in good shape. I'll keep my eye out for ya next time!

 
At 10:43 AM , Blogger Testicular Homicide said...

I enjoyed my ride along the South Platte trail. A few of the sections weren't well marked but overall pretty great! One section was under construction and a very visible detour was marked!

Here is a post to our mini-tour if you are interested
http://www.alternativecommutepueblo.com/2011/03/pueblo-to-boulder-and-back.html

Keep on posting! Thanks

 
At 10:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joe. I read that you knew Joe Glader of prototype engineering. Is he still around? I'd love to call him. Did you ever hear of 'rocket science' bike components in Denver? I forgot the owner's name, but I used to visit him in his 'test facility' in the mid 90's. Cool guy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home