Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Tired Of Working

So, I decided to play, a little.

Specifically, I am tired of working on converting an old mountain bike into a commuter, for a fellow I know at the coffee shop.  The bike has been in my shop building for almost two  years, and he finally settled on what he wanted done to it.  I, though, am sick of looking at it, so I am having trouble working on it.

So, I took a break and built another "junk-box bike".

The frame was an old Giant hybrid-bike frame which has been lying about.  My 1-inch steer-tube Kinesis alloy cross fork worked, with a headset made up of parts from three different partial headsets from the graveyard.

The tires are a set of 700x45c, which I had bought for an abandoned project a couple of years ago.  The bike is not quite a "29er", but it is technically a "28er", like a European trekking bike.

 I'll have to find a better shifter.  This one is a stem-mount shifter.  It works fine, but it shifts backward to normal, when mounted on the handlebar.

I also put together a cigar box amplifier, to go with the cigar box guitar.

I'll write up a little build description over on 52 Card, soon, if anyone is interested.

x

3 Comments:

At 6:13 AM , Blogger Big Oak said...

I can't wait to hear the amplifier!

Is there anything special you are doing to the project bike that makes you tired of working on it? It looks like the Kinesis bike took quite a bit of work in itself.

 
At 5:45 PM , Blogger Jon said...

No, I just don't feel like working on it. There's a long story behind it, but basically I didn't want the guy to bring this bike to me, two years ago, until we knew exactly what we were doing. I don't have a lot of extra storage space, but he brought it by, anyway, then went out of the country for six months. Then, out of the country again, etc.

Anyway, at this point, I am not very enthusiastic about getting it done, but he's in a sudden hurry to get it set up for his new girlfriend.

It's almost complete. I just need to convert the crank to a single chainring.

 
At 9:21 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Another cool build! I am intrigued by the 700c wheels on a 26" mountain bike. Very interesting!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home