Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, March 04, 2011

I should Probably Buy a Lottery Ticket...

...because I'm feeling pretty lucky.

These are the pants I had on, yesterday, when the driver of a Ford truck decided to run me down:

I'm not really sure how I landed that my pocket got destroyed, like that.  All of my change, pens and other miscellany I carry in that pocket were strewn all over the rode, when I got up.

My right glove got damaged, but not my left.  Oddly, there is not a mark on my hand, although the end of my thumb feels a little tender/bruised.

My left kneecap was under the larger shiny area, on this leg-warmer.  The lycra fabric is melted and fused, from the friction of sliding down the road, making the shiny spots.  My knee is a little swelled up, and I have some road rash even though the fabic wasn't rubbed all the way through or torn.

My left arm-warmer wasn't as lucky.  I have a nice bruise on my upper arm, where the tear is, and bruising with road rash at the elbow, where the smaller hole is.

He was a driver, like many others, who pulled up at the stopsign and yelled something unfriendly.  I took off, and rode down the street, between a line of school buses that kids were loading into and a line of parked cars that other kids were going to.

I was doing about 17 mph, as I recall, when I saw a lady point and yell something.  Then, the truck hit me.  Luckily, he hit my bag, which deflected enough that I wasn't knocked down in front of the truck.  Rather, I then was hit by the side of the truck and knocked off the bike and to the right, toward the school buses.

For some reason, as I picked myself up, I had the presence of mind to get the license plate number, as he continued driving away.  The driver was looking over his shoulder at me, so he knew I was down.

I called 911 and gave the operator the plate number, a description of the vehicle and a description of the driver.  Paramedics showed up, along with the cops, and my buddy, Paul Granahan .(He's also my supervisor, whom I had called and asked for a ride).

The lady whom I had seen pointing, just before impact, stayed and gave the police a witness report.  I am so grateful, for that.  Without a witness to corroborate my story, I'm not sure how everything would go.

I talked to the police, today, on the phone.  They have classified this incident as an assault, rather than a traffic call.  There is warrant out for the vehicle.  Once it is located, they will determine who was driving, and issue an arrest warrant for him.

At that point, I will be called in to look at a photo line-up.  Then, I hope the guy goes to jail.

And that's not just a desire for retribution, it's a concern for my safety and the safety of others.  He did this crime not only in a school zone, but in the presence of elementary school children.  He could just as easily run over a child, as me.  That shows that he has no regard, whatsoever, for anyone other than himself.  He's an animal who needs to be caged.

Me?  I'm just a lucky guy who didn't end up under the wheels of this animal's truck, seriously injured or dead.

Powerball, here I come!

x

21 Comments:

At 1:39 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

I am so glad you weren't seriously injured. People like that guy should not be on the road, and I'm glad you were able to get his plate number and identifying information.

Retribution has nothing to do with this incident. He committed a crime and needs to experience the proper law treatment he has earned. Hopefully he will learn from his action, and not injure anyone else.

Again, I am glad you are OK.

 
At 2:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you weren't seriously injured. Happy beyond belief that you got the plate number, had a witness and the police are after the guy.

 
At 2:31 PM , Blogger MandG said...

Whoa! I'm so glad you're OK! I've been the victim of a hit and run (in my car) and it just astounds me that folks will just drive away.

 
At 3:51 PM , Blogger Steve A said...

God was with you in many ways. Thank you for a much less emotional post than I could have managed. I hope you have good news as a follow-up wrt the animal.

 
At 5:05 PM , Blogger Steve A said...

Actually, you should probably AVOID buying any lottery tickets in the immediate future because you've used up your quota of good luck, at least for the week.

 
At 8:23 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

What an amazing story. I'm so glad to hear your injuries were not any worse, and that you had the presence of mind to get that plate number. I call that heroic. Thanks to you and that witness, you might be able to put a new sticker on your bike that has an X across a pickup that says, "one less idiot".

 
At 8:57 PM , Blogger Oldfool said...

Welcome to the "run into by a truck club". My clothes came out pretty good in my episode but my body had about two months of repairs to do. The clueless driver in my case immediately rendered assistance and if I read his eyes right was truly concerned. It is hard to be angry with someone like that. Unlike your case there was no malice.

 
At 9:20 PM , Blogger John Romeo Alpha said...

Someone willing to commit vehicular assault like that is a menace to the streets and society. I also have no feelings of revenge or retribution toward someone like that, just this toward the driver: we do not permit that behavior, sir, and it carries legal consequences that you will face. Hats off for getting the license and description, and for avoiding serious injury, that's amazing.

 
At 10:28 PM , Blogger MT cyclist said...

Sorry to hear about your crash. It's shocking that such creeps are on the road hurting innocent people.
Get well soon, and good luck bringing this jerk to justice.

 
At 12:49 AM , Blogger Jerome said...

Glad you're alright!

 
At 7:51 AM , Blogger katina said...

man spring must be the time for drivers to run down the bicyclists because my coworker who bikes to work frequently also was in a hit and run...And a few years ago, her husband was hit by a car while on his bike in the spring as well...

 
At 7:51 AM , Blogger katina said...

Also, Colorado in less than a week. We'll call you.

 
At 10:20 PM , Blogger Christopher said...

Oh my god! Are you OK? Don't hesitate, go to the doctor, he will pay later.

 
At 10:59 AM , Blogger Jon said...

Hi, everybody. Just wanted to say "THANK YOU" for all the well-wishes and support. I would also like to assure everyone that I am doing well. Small scrapes and bruises, lots of stiffness, but no serious physical harm.

I will admit that I'm a little nervous about getting back on the commute. But, this will pass, I'm sure.

Thanks again, for your concern.

Jon

 
At 3:00 PM , Blogger Rat Trap Press said...

I'm glad you made it through with just a few minor injuries. I get really angry when I read about stuff like this, thank goodness you had the presence of mind to remember his tag number. Please keep us updated on the investigation.

 
At 6:41 PM , Blogger LvilleTex said...

Wow! Glad it turned out as well as could such a miserable moment.

 
At 8:16 AM , Blogger JPTwins said...

normally a lurker here, but i read every post.

This is a scary story, but I'm glad that a) you're mostly okay and b) there's some follow-up from the police. It's insane to think that the driver would do that on purpose.

 
At 10:09 AM , Blogger Karl E said...

Reading this on a morning where two drivers felt the need to see how closely they could drive by me. I'm glad you are ok and you can relate this story. See how many people actually read this blog! Take care.

 
At 3:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to hear that you are allright.Hope they find the driver and that Karma gives him what he deserves.
--FRANKENBIKER

 
At 10:53 AM , Blogger Tigger-In-Chains said...

Jon,

Good to see that your are kinda OK and will recover. That is most important. The pics and details on the clothes are great....but nothing about the bike. We need to know……Did you follow all my teachings and successfully throw you body between the ground and the bike? That is very tough to do when you are hit by a truck.

And check you out with the situational awareness to get a look at the perpetrator as well as his plates.

Nicely done.

b.

 
At 5:16 PM , Blogger Jon said...

I apparently did break the bike's fall. Other than scratches on my New Belgium bell and a couple of scuffs on one saddlebag, the bike was totally unscathed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home