Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Relaxing

Well, I got the three bikes built, yesterday.  I started working out in the shop at 7:30m A.M. and ended up finishing the last little details on one of the bikes at 10:00 P.M, in my living room.  Two of the bikes have gone home with their owners, and I am waiting to hear back from the third.

So, for fun today, I...built a bike.  Well, I didn't really build it all the way.  I basically just built a "proof of concept".


It started out when I put these wheels on this frame, just to be better able to store it.  I started thinking about some of the "board-track racer" style bikes on the Rat Rod Bikes gallery (it's in my blog list, to the right), and decided to see if I would want to build one up for myself.


So, I shimmed up some cruiser bars, threw on a brake and a chain, and cobbled together a motorcycle-style seat from a seatpost-mounted rack.

Custom upholstery consisting of a dirty shop towel (the only kind I have, right now) and some scrap bar tape.

EDIT:  Does this bike make me look fat?

So, I found it to be rideable.  With a bit of fine-tuning, it would even be useful for cruiser crawls and such.  For instance, a stem shorter than 150mm would certainly make the reach to the bars more manageable.  That said, it would be awesome with an electric motor installed.

Hmmm.  (Chin stroke, chin stroke...)

Now to pack for the upcoming business trip.

x

4 Comments:

At 4:51 PM , Blogger Steve A said...

I presume a REAL one might have a stingray seat.

 
At 4:55 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Nah. A real Rat Rod builder makes/adapts his own. I've seen guys saw the arm off of an Ashtabula crank, insert the remaining arm into the seat tube, and clamp a saddle to the "spindle" portion of the crank in order to get a low, laid-back seat.

Stingray seats seem to be in the realm of the Lowriders, rather than the Rat Rods.

Would be easier, though.

 
At 5:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, it needs an electric motor, plus a decent saddle.

 
At 11:35 PM , Blogger MELI. said...

you are a bike building machine!!
I really like that top curve of that one, looks like a comfy ride
cheers :D m

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home