Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Thursday, April 01, 2010

Busy Day...

I had a furlough day, today, so I got a few things done.  I got my taxes done, did three weeks worth of laundry (yes, I am a bachelor), went grocery shopping, hit the thrift store and worked on my bike.

I bought a Minnehaha saddle bag, from Restoration Hardware of all places, after Myles put up a post on Rat Trap Press about them being on sale.  I had been looking for a medium-sized bag to use on the 100-mile rides, specifically on the titanium Daily Grind bike.  (That's the name Darryl is going to use for that frame.  Sorry if it gets confusing, considering that I have a blog by that name, as well.)

Unfortunately, the saddle rides low enough on that bike, at my setting, that the bag came perilously close to touching the rear tire, even unloaded.  Even though I designed the bike to accept racks and fenders, I don't really want to mount any on it, right now.  So, I needed something to hold the bag off of the tire, but I wanted it to be relatively subtle.

Here's what I came up with.

I used the stays from a an old Planet Bike front fender, and some aluminum stock I had lying around the shop.  Two bends, four drilled holes, and voila (or wallah, as I so often see it spelled on the interwebs), I had a nice little bag support.


By removing four 4mm bolts, the support can be removed in about a minute.


And, as you can see, the support under the bag is relatively unobtrusive, in use...unlike the sun's reflection off of the front rim, which I didn't even notice until I loaded the picture onto my computer.

At the thrift store, I made one of those finds that keep me going back:


Yeah, that's right:  It's a clock radio.  But, it's not just any old clock radio...


 I have a thing for the warm sound of a tube amplifier.  Like my portable phonograph (which came from the same thrift store), it sounds great.

Time to tune in the jazz station.

x

3 Comments:

At 9:57 PM , Blogger Noah said...

Mega-GRR at "wallah" or "walla."

Also: mad props on the tube-amped radio. When I saw the front, I was instantly thinking "that thing probably uses tubes!" followed shortly by "It's probably burned out! :(" But I'm glad it works!

 
At 6:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Wallah!" I was reading the instructions for fixing a broken X-Box "replace the drive and, wallah" and I thought it was somekind of computer-geek code word. I asked Steve, "What's 'wallah'?", then immedially laughed and said, "Oh, voila!" (and, by the way, the fix did not work - wallah or no wallah).
-Joy

 
At 10:04 PM , Blogger Jon said...

"For all intensive purposes" is another of my webspeak favorites.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home