Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

New Saddle

I recently sold my Brooks B-15 Narrow saddle on ebay, because I prefer the wider seating area of the B-17.  With the money I got for the B-15, I ended up buying a Cardiff saddle, for about 75% of the cost of a B-17.

The leather is nice and thick, the edges are skived nicely, and the chrome rails and hardware look equal to those on a Brooks.  It even came pre-laced.


The shape and size are very similar to a B-17, and it felt pretty much like a brand-new Brooks under my butt, on the test-ride.


It looks a bit different than the Adga/Ideale hybrid mutant saddle that was on the bike, before.  Give it a few years, and it might begin to look as cool as the old French leather..





I think it looks pretty good on the bike.  It might not be a permanent application, but I put it on this particular bike to break it in.  See, I have this method for breaking in leather saddles:  I ride a bunch of miles on them.  The commuter bike gets the most mileage, so the saddle gets broken in faster on it than it would on any other bike.

I'm not sure where the mutant saddle will end up, but it won't go unused.  It's too cool to let it lie for too long.


x

6 Comments:

At 4:23 AM , Blogger Big Oak said...

I see it even has bag loops like a Brooks. On your bike, it will be broken in in no time.

 
At 1:01 PM , Blogger getinlost said...

Did you get that in town?

 
At 2:52 PM , Blogger Jon said...

getinlost: Nope. Bought it from the Bay of e.

 
At 3:05 PM , Blogger Jon said...

As a postscript: Cardiff appears to be the source for Velo Orange saddles. All of the V/O saddles are the same as the Cardiffs, with a different logo stamped into the skirt.

The V/O logo costs you about $10.00, compared to the Cardiff. But, if you are including the saddle in an order with other components, it would probably be a wash since you wouldn't pay separate shipping for the saddle.

 
At 10:06 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

The saddle looks really nice, looking forward to hearing how it breaks in. I love my Brooks, but I'd also consider something like this.

 
At 7:42 AM , Blogger getinlost said...

According to the Cardiff website there is a place in town that is a retailer. Here http://teabike.blogspot.com/.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home