Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Progress Made

So, I got a little bit done on all three bikes, but completed none of them.  Slow and steady, that's the plan.

I also swapped handlebars on the ti bike.

I swapped my Nitto Mustache bars for cromo Nitto Albatross bars, mounted as a drop rather than a riser.


The Albatross is a bit wider than the Mustache, and has some flare at the ends.  It also, obviously, has less reach and more sweep back.  My hands end up at almost the same place, with a more relaxed wrist angle, for normal riding.  But, I also have a bit of grip area closer to me, for dropping off of ledges and negotiating steep downhill technical sections.

I think it will actually be a bit more comfortable than the Mustache, even though the Mustache was no slouch in the comfort area.  Plus, I think the inverted Albatross has a more appropriate look for the frame.


In the background is one of the bikes I am building up.  It is the Liberia 10-speed I posted on the Daily Grind, a while back.  It is becoming a flat-barred singlespeed with a basket.  Tomorrow, I will get the basket and the bmx freewheel I need to finish it up.  It is a birthday gift for the girlfriend of the fellow who bought my aborted Raleigh Clubman Replica project, last year.

So, tomorrow I buy the final parts I need for the builds, and buckle down to work.  It's all doable, as long as I keep my nose to the grindstone.

Heh, heh.. Grindstone.  get it?

x

5 Comments:

At 7:36 AM , Blogger katina said...

Sometimes you are a dork. But it's okay. my dad always made my mom take a picture of him with ANYTHING that says "Butler". For example, there's a picture of him standing in front of a sign with "James Butler Hickok" engraved on it...or the time when we went to Ireland and had to have his picture taken in front of "Butler's Candy Store". Anyhow, when Shawn and I were in Germany, there was a statue of a boar and I made him stand in front of it for a picture. So yes, I guess I am now officially a dork too.

 
At 8:32 PM , Blogger getinlost said...

In the pic from the rear of the Ti bike it appears that your saddle is canted to the right. Even though the bike is leaning left a wee bit. I would put a level on it.

 
At 6:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is a GORGEOUS bike. I'll be back the end of July Jon. Looking forward to getting back on a bicycle.

 
At 8:41 PM , Blogger Fuzzy Bomber said...

I was just wondering how the reversed albatross bars are working out? They look very classy/classic.

 
At 9:46 AM , Blogger Jon said...

I think these bars are my favorite bars, ever. They have served me well through all types of riding, plus I love how they look on the bike.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home