Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Street Schwag

Back when I was commuting down south of Parker, I found a lot of stuff along the highway; wallets, credit cards, purses, tools, etc. I returned everything for which I could determine an owner, like the credit cards and purses/wallets, but tools and things I just kept.

Riding through town, I don't find that much stuff lying about. More pedestrians mean fewer useful items in the street.

Above, however, are a few things I've picked up, lately. The large black item is a TV station tuner/weather radio from Sony. Next to it is a digital pedometer. Continuing clockwise I have a 10mm wrench, a 15mm wrench and a pair of pliers. Not pictured is the smaller pair of pliers that Mark found in the road and left with me, nor the various SAE wrenches and sockets I've found and donated to the tool chest at work.

Oh, I did find a wallet, a few weeks back. It belonged to a young man who lived about a block east of one of the roads I ride on the way home, so I just called him up and arranged to drop it off with his mom.

Found anything good, lately?

x

10 Comments:

At 7:19 PM , Blogger Steve A said...

Hey! That radio looks exactly like mine! Good thing I live near Fort Worth & haven't lost mine or I might accuse you of ugly things.

That radio has EXCELLENT AM reception by the way...

 
At 7:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The most useful thing I ever found was a HUGE pair of Fiskars scissors (about 10" long overall) on a neighborhood road in Memphis a few summers ago (we were actually in a car when we spotted them). I keep them in the garage now and they are really tough and handy.

My strangest find(and this was on a bike) was four good-sized sunfish. They were real fish (I checked), not cleaned or gutted or anything, just intact fish. The boys and I spotted them as we rode to the elem. school a few years ago and they stayed there for several days - we did not feel any urge to bring them home with us!

--Joy

 
At 9:55 PM , Blogger Doohickie said...

I found this last month.

:)

It was in a pile of trash set out to the curb.

 
At 10:26 AM , Blogger Jon said...

I suppose that the little tuner will lose the TV station function when they all go all-digital. That's okay, though, because the most useful feature for me is the weather radio, anyway.

Joy: Shoulda had fish for dinner. I know how much you like it!

 
At 11:09 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

I found a heavy brass cigar ashtray this April that I assume some teenager threw at a mailbox because the one about twenty feet up the road was completely destoyed.That and 4 knotted up yet perfectly good bungee cords,those are always useful.By far the strangest (well largest)anyway,tool I have ever found was an enormous open end wrench for a 4 inch nut!It is over three feet long!I guess someone like the electric or phone co. left it behind.Then the other day while driving, I picked up an old huffy 20"BMX with a free sign on it.I know it is junk, but the frame is made from cast recycled aluminum and looks like a trestle bridge!It'll make a nice addition to the COOP's weird bike collection.

 
At 11:59 AM , Blogger Jon said...

That would a fantastic gravity bike!

 
At 1:02 PM , Anonymous PushingWind said...

I once found a large black cotton hoodie laying on the bike path near my house. Washed and fits perfectly. The most interesting thing I ever found was a black lace strapless bra. I rode past it for 3 days while it lay on the grass. It was around this time last year during prom season. I eventually picked it up to show my wife since she thought I was kidding.

 
At 5:59 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

I never thought of that Jon,I could just bungee the huge wrench and the brass ashtray to the already heavy 40lb bike and coast down a hill at warp factor 9.7.

 
At 7:29 AM , Blogger Jon said...

Name the bike "Roadkill", and get to building!

 
At 9:02 PM , Blogger -Jim said...

I've found plenty of tools, and some good quality ones at that. I once found a PFD (life jacket) while riding in rafting country, but decided the orange colour would clash with my jersey.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home