Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Bloggity, Blog, Blog, Blog

You may have noticed that I added a link to AntBikes, over there on the right. Mike makes bikes the way I'd like to make them, and I like to read his occasional blog posts. The latest post on his blog concerns the fact that he doesn't read a lot of blogs, and uses his mostly as a marketing thing. I wish that he felt otherwise because, as I said, I do like to read what he has to say.

I, myself, like to make blog posts. Carol often says something along the line of, "I don't know how you bloggers find the time to sit on the computer all the time." And, I've never really had an answer to that, until now.

Mike's post set me to thinking, and I realized something that I'd never really thought of, directly. I dont "find" time to post...I make time. The blogging is a one of my hobbies, just like building bikes, drawing and playing guitar. I don't operate under a deadline (obviously, considering the fact that it's been 5 days since I last posted), and I don't have to please anyone but myself with it. I hope that I do, but it's hard to tell unless someone leaves a comment.

I like getting comments, whether they are in agreement with me, or not. It lets me know someone is out there, and it turns the blog into a conversation, of sorts. That's the one thing that makes the art blogs difficult for me: I get very few comments.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not fishing for compliments. Even something along the lines of, "I'm surprised you haven't haven't suffocated. Your lack of talent makes it hard to believe that you could even draw a realistic breath," is better than nothing.

Hell, I even enjoyed the comment about shoving my bike up my ass, over on 52 Card. I was perplexed by it, but still amused.

Anyway, this is what I was thinking about on the ride home, today. It's 84 degrees F and sunny, with very little wind, so I was riding a nice relaxed pace, and cogitating as I went along. I know it has nothing to do with bikes (motor- or push-), but I thought it bore typing out, anyway.

I might start yet another blog for this random kind of stuff; things I think about and compose in my mind but never post due to their extreme randomness. Because, you know, I don't have enough to do, every day, and I feel the need to start something else up.

Later, my little birds...

x

9 Comments:

At 6:40 PM , Blogger Rat Trap Press said...

I know how you feel. My blog has become one of my favorite hobbies.

 
At 8:54 PM , Blogger JPTwins said...

Just thought I'd drop in and leave a comment. I have you in my RSS feed and have been reading everything. Keep it up! good stuff...

 
At 11:08 PM , Blogger katina said...

I go through phases, but with 2 blogs to keep up, it tends to be I'll either post a bunch on the garden blog, or a bunch on the normal blog, but rarely to I ever update both frequently in the same week.

But I too get very few comments, and the comments I do get are from people I know, BUT at the same time, I know I get like 500 hits a week on my garden blog because my sitemeter summaries tell me so and they wouldn't lie, now would they? I will try to post comments more frequently--it seems like the more blogs I try to keep up with, the less frequently I post.

 
At 11:08 PM , Blogger katina said...

post comments that is...god, I really need to go to bed.

 
At 4:15 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

I like to read blogs more than I like to post on my own. I'll bet that even though you get few comments on your other blog, you are getting a whole lot of visitors.

Anyway, keep up the blogging! It gives lazy blog posters like me something enjoyable to read!

 
At 7:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You suck Jon, Stop writing and build me a fixed gear with that extra time....
Just kiddin', Love your work big guy....

 
At 12:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Blogs are like the Real World for people that can read.

 
At 8:36 PM , Blogger Robert Sisson said...

Jon, I don't know how to do it but there is a method for auto notifications of new blog posts. ie, you set it up so people can sign up to be notified when you create a new post. Usually the day after you have written a new post, persons on the list are emailed and there is a link to the blog included.

 
At 9:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

huh... attractive style :))

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home