Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Updates To The LeMond

While I working on the Stumpy and the orange bike, I also pulled the LeMond down and fixed a long-term annoyance.  I removed the front Avid Shorty cantilevers to put them on the Stumpy, and I replaced them with some old-school Shimano cantis.  This made me want to finally get the v-brakes off of the back of the Lemond, and replace them with more of the old-school Shimanos

I had left the v-brakes on the bike when I converted it from being a cross-bike to it's current fixed gear state.  The v-brakes had worked well with the Campy Ergo Shifters I had been running,  but they were completely useless with the brake levers I installed when converting the bike.  But, the bike had no accommodation for a cable stop, needed to run cantis, so I left the v-brakes on just to avoid having a dead brake lever attached to nothing. 

I modified the seat post collar to make room for a bolt-mounted hanger, then modified the hanger to fit the bolt.  It took about 20 minutes of grinding and filing to get everything to work.


I think these are awesome-looking brakes.  I'd like to run these on the Stumpy, but my brake pad relocaters won't work on them, so they wouldn't line up with the 700c rims on the 26"-wheel frame.

Front brakes.  (I hate it when Blogger rotates my pictures for no reason, and I can't un-rotate them.)

x




2 Comments:

At 10:05 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

Are those brakes old Deore"deer head"?if so do you have anymore?I have one pair from an old Ritchey ascent and I would like to use them on my monstercross.Lemme know.

 
At 12:42 PM , Blogger Jon said...

I have a full set of M732 brakes (early 90s XT). I'll email you some pictures.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home