Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Monday, January 05, 2009

Raleigh Portage

Back in June of last year, I picked this 650b-wheeled Raleigh at a yard sale. It was in such good shape, I would have thought it was brand new if I didn't know that these were built in 1988. The tires were even the original "Raleigh" branded items.

I had originally planned on selling the bike, hopefully making a couple of bucks in the process. But, I started riding it around, and decided to keep it and put the "Clubman" project on the back burner. I put some wider bars and a Brooks Professional saddle on it, but left it otherwise stock. Until, this week, that is...

Friday, I went to Cycle Analyst and picked up some Schwalbe tires and a pair of Nitto Mustache Bars. I had decided to build it into my version of a Bridgestone XO-1.
I cleaned up an old pair of Suntour Bar-Cons (I only went so far as 800 grit sandpaper, which gave me a finish which closely reproduced what those shifters looked like out of the box), and routed the cables under the bar tape, contrary to the traditional routing.

I like the look of mustache bars with exposed brake cable housing, but I think adding exposed shifter cables makes them a bit busy. They seem to shift, just fine, routed in this manner so I think I'll leave them that way.

Too bad the paint is so nice. I sure would like to paint it orange like the bike I linked to, above. I don't think I'm likely to find an orange XO-1, any time soon. It was a limited production bike, with 1000 units being built each year in 1992 and 1993.

I think this will make a nice little long-ride bike. I plan on trying for my Super Randonneur status on it, this year.

x

5 Comments:

At 7:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Purty!

 
At 6:31 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

I to covet the orange XO-1,alas it will never be.Nice portage, I have only ever seen one other at the local co-op.It wasn't in quite as nice of condition and it was much too small for me.Otherwise I would 've bought it.

 
At 1:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's weird: I have a Raleigh Portage but it's a mountain bike!

 
At 7:50 AM , Blogger Charlotte said...

That's a very pretty bike! I like the addition of the whitewall tires. Are you going to keep the differently colored water bottle cages?

 
At 2:33 PM , Blogger Morry said...

Jon I love this bike and have been looking for one locally for a long time, one of the kids at Salvagetti picked one up but I'm not sure he will sell it to me. Have you seen anymore recently?

email me at morry32@gmail.com

Matthew

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home