Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

L'Orange is Back On The Road


The above photo shows the orange Peugeot with its new shoes.  I re-spaced a 27" road rear wheel, centered it, installed the cog Rotafixie-style and mounted it up along with the matching front wheel.  Performance brand 27x1-1/4" tires are a close approximation of the 700x35c tires which were on the wheels with which I had originally built up the bike.

Here is the bike in its original configuration.  Those black wheels went to the yellow commuter bike.  The rear rim on the yellow bike was blowing out, so robbed Peter to pay Paul.  I then ordered in new rims to lace to the hubs, which are sealed bearing Formula flip-flops and well worth saving.  

I have yet to size up spokes, though; partly because I really wanted to put silver wheels on the Peugeot.  You didn't see black anodized wheels in 1974, so I wanted to put on a wheelset which was more period correct.

Unfortunately, I don't have a silver set of track wheels sitting around.  And, I didn't want to buy another set of wheels.  So, I went very period correct and used the 27" high-flanged Milremo hubbed wheelset.

I got this Brooks Professional at VeloSwap, last October.  It replaced the B-17 which was on the bike (and which I sold on a bike).

Once the black wheels were off, the black handlebar looked out of place.  Since I had shellacked the bar tape, I didn't want to unwrap the bar to remove it and replace it with a silver bar.  Out came the package of fine grades of sandpaper.  I started with 100 grit and worked up to 1200 grit. 

It came out pretty well.  Whenever I actually do remove the bar from the bike, I'll finish up the rest of the sanding.

I'm excited to have my prettiest bike back on the road.  I think I'll take it to the coffee shop, tomorrow morning.

x

5 Comments:

At 10:02 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

Did I ever tell you I love orange bikes?THey just look FAST!!!

 
At 8:42 AM , Blogger getinlost said...

I find that after sanding and polishing aluminum I like to follow with some polish Like Mothers Mag to bring it out more. Also I believe that it's Rotafixa from the italian rOwta-feeks 'a

 
At 12:05 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Uh, yeah...that was just kinda a play on words.

 
At 3:06 PM , Anonymous joseph tabajonda said...

i was wondering what model is the orange peugeot?i have the same one for years.

email:teamfliparoozjm@yahoo.com

 
At 1:52 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Joseph,

That is a 1974 UO8. Great riding bike, isn't it?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home