Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

"Magic Bikes"

One last post for the day.
I now have two 1980s Specialized mountain bikes converted to 700c wheels.  The yellow bike is (I think) a 1988 model and had below-the-chainstay rear u-brakes, originally.  It is now fixed gear, and has only front v-brakes mounted on a replacement fork from a Giant hybrid.

The black bike is the 1984  StumpJumper Sport I've been working on, all week.  

Over the past few years, I've built up three or four other similar bikes, and ended up selling them.  I call them "magic bikes" because there is something about this set-up which seems to make the bike faster than it should be.  When I commute on the yellow bike, and just loaf along, I still get home faster than I do on my other bikes when I try to go fast.

The geometry of the frames make them very stable, but they have a more lively feel than a touring frame.  Plus, they are brick-tough, having been designed for off-road, use and I don't have any qualms about commuting daily with loaded panniers on them.

Not to mention that I just like the looks of them.  These were mountain bikes that I wanted, when they new, but couldn't afford.  So, I get a bit of pleasure out of just seeing them sitting there.

I think both of these bikes are due for refinishing.  The yellow one has original paint, but it is in sad shape and needs to be redone (and the fork doesn't match).  The black Stumpy has about 3 pounds of rattlecan paint on it.  

I plan to paint the yellow one in the fastest color known to man (orange), and I think I'll have the Stumpy powder-coated in black.  I like the old-school look it has with the black paint and silver components/fork.  That has to wait until the cash-flow picks up a bit, though.

x

4 Comments:

At 10:09 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

There it is again,FAST ORANGE!!!

 
At 2:39 PM , Blogger katina said...

my my, you've been a busy guy.

 
At 11:09 AM , Blogger Red Beard said...

Stumbled across this on google....how did you get the rear brake to line up with a 700c rim on the black bike? Thanks!

 
At 11:36 AM , Blogger Jon said...

I just made some adapters to raise the pads on the v-brakes: Plate steel, with a slot cut out to allow vertical adjustment of the pad, and tow bolt holes to attach the adapter to the existing slot in the v-brake.

I have a drawing scanned in, which shows what I did. Email me, and I'll send it to you. jjgrinder msn com

You know what goes in there to make it an email address...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home