Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Ye Olde Junque Yarde, Part Twain

As promised, here is the haul from Friday's descent into madness. In no particular order:
(click the pictures to enlarge)

A 1973 Raleigh Folding 20. It's in pretty rough shape, and missing the seatpost, so it is of little interest to collectors. I actually asked a fellow with whom I've been emailing back and forth about Formula One bikes and 20" folders (his website is here), and he told me I should sell the light and crank, etc., and just modify it to suit me. I think that may be the plan, unless someone else comes forward and wants it.

This one had just come into the yard, and had not yet gotten a ton of crap piled on top of it. KHS Montana. I have built two different Scorchers from these, and I really like how they ride. This one may become the Scorcher for HBC, or it may just become a random Scorcher. Either way, Scorching seems imminent.

UPDATE: Just got an email from HBC saying to go with this one. So it shall be.

Late 80s Rockhopper, with under-the-chainstay U-brake. This is my first choice for HBC's Scorcher, because I like how clean the rear end looks with this brake (like my Miami Vice bike). But, it may be a tad too large. If it is, we go with the KHS.


Raleigh SuperCourse from 1976. I built my first fixed gear from this same year SuperCourse. This is a 58cm, so it's a bit too large for me. I'll build it up and put it in the For Sale section on the site. It has a cool Nervar Sport crank: steel arms, but not cottered, with alloy rings. Reynolds 531 tubing.

Here's the crank. I think it will stay with the bike, unless the purchaser requests something else.

The hoods are in terrific shape. My camera won't pick it up, but they have the Carlton logo molded into them.

A fairly large GT Karakoram (22"). I want the parts for a vintage MTB project (in the future) and I figure I'll put the frame and fork on eBay, or something.

Bridgestone XO-3, with the handlebar which inspired the Soma Noah's Arc bar. I was somewhat disappointed to realize it is the 700c version. I prefer the 26" wheels and mustache bars...just like the Miami Vice bike. Hmmm...

Hercules 3-speed which dates from 1962. This one will get a light restoration, and I will try to find a buyer who wants a classic 3-speed, rather than modify it. If I didn't already have my Clubman project going, I would probably keep it for myself. But, I just don't want two different 3-speeds.

This one is one of my favorites. No idea of the manufacturer, or the age, but it is painfully cool.

Double top tubes, double secondary tubes. Reminds me of the RetroTecs.


This tab suggests to me that the bike may have had a "gas tank" of some sort.

Pretty fancy fork for a cruiser, too. Tubular legs, nice crown. Looks like the forks on the 70s and 80s era Motobecanes. I think a lot of the chrome will polish up, though some of it is fairly rusted.


Maybe I should sharpen these "knife blade" dropouts and go all Ben Hur on my first ride. I may have to check out the Denver Cruisers ride, one week, once this is built up.

That's it for the bikes. I pulled a couple of headtube badges from some destroyed frames, for my collection. I couldn't find any info on Shields Deluxe Cycle, but I did find an Emory website.
The Emory badge reads: Guaranteed, Hand Made, Emory, Jacksonville Florida, 76
So, that was the haul from the metal yard. I don't think I can stomach going back and dealing with the guy, again, but I was happy to come up with this eclectic mix of bikes to play with.
x

7 Comments:

At 2:25 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

The Supercourse and the twenty folder both bring back fond memories,I once had a '73 folder and a'78 Supercourse,alas they were sold to make room for other things.

The twin top tube cruiser would look great as a klunker style Mtn.bike.Very cool!

I like that B'stone too,I'm always looking for that elusive XO-1 with 26" wheels and a 21" frame.They seem to be a rare beast to say the least.

 
At 5:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shields Bicycle Company was a Canadian import company - they imported and "finished" Nishikis and some other bikes to give them "Canadian content." They are out of business - here is the link I found for info about them: http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-220077.html
Ah - the power of Google!!
--Joy

 
At 8:09 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Look at the big brain on Joy! I could only find motorcycle covers and such things when I searched.

"Canadian content", eh? Koo loo kookoo koo loo kookoo...

 
At 8:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon, keep that Hercules from England. You earned it!
I hope that you will keep us posted on what the chrome bike turns out to be!
I'll bet you anything that the chrome bike was here in another life:
http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

 
At 7:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chrome bike...painfully cool...painfully heavy. A death worse than fate!

 
At 8:08 AM , Blogger Jon said...

It's actually a lot lighter than it looks.

 
At 10:00 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

Great bikes, I especially like the Bridgestone and the Supercourse. Kinda makes me wish I was in the market, actually. Very nice.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home