Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Work Starts On The Clubman

Today, I put the Clubman in the stand and stripped off the derailleurs. Then, I started test-fitting parts. I considered using 27" wheels, rather than 700c, to stay period-correct. After playing around with a couple of sets of wheels, I decided to use 700c with 35 width tires.


As I was test-fitting wheels, I found that the fork was not properly aligned. In fact, it was so bad I had to check twice and make sure it wasn't a Peugeot. It took me about an hour to get the fork legs aligned, and the dropouts widened to accept a modern axle diameter.


Of course, these wheels are nothing like what I'll be using. I plan on silver Sun rims, in a normal cross-section, laced onto a 1969 Sturmey Archer AW 3-speed, on the rear, and a high-flange Normandy hub on the front.


Here, Jack contemplates peeing on the rear wheel, as I admire the randonneur bars, forged alloy stem and Mafac brake levers.

These tires look the part, and ride pretty well, to boot. I've used them on a number of bikes, in the past. And, of course, a Brooks Professional rounds out the retro feel.


The AW 3-speed hub gives gear ratios (as applied to the gear inches produced by the cog and chainring) of 75%, 100%, and 133%. So, If I gear the bike at 66 inches, that gives me 49.5 inches, 66 inches and 87.78 inches. That should suffice for my needs.


Your friendly blogger.
While I was in the shop, I removed the rear tube from the Scorcher (slow leak) and replaced it with one into which I had installed Stan's sealant . Then, I swapped all of my commuter stuff over to it and got it ready for the coming week. The weather is supposed to be nice, with temps in the upper 50s and lower 60s for the next few days, so I'm thinking the studded snow tires on the Pink Bike are unnecessary.
Of course, if the past is any indication, we'll have a blizzard, overnight.
Going to be a busy month. I have Jury Duty on the 24th, and RV and I are going to Fruita for some Mountain Bike Extravaganza, over the last weekend of the month. Maybe I should finish building the STP and take it to Fruita. Might be a good shakedown cruise.
Then again, trhe 69er is calling...

x



4 Comments:

At 7:20 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hippie.

The Schwinn is great, though I figured out what you meant about the bars when I was riding home. The hand position while riding up hills is horrible - but doable.

 
At 11:14 PM , Blogger Brad said...

With this it may be high time to resurrect the "JCW" and have some new patches done up...

The clubman is going to be good. I can feel it.

 
At 6:49 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

The clubman is looking great Jon,it makes me want one just like it.Here we go with the how many bikes do you really need thing again.Answer--all of them!

 
At 9:44 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

That is one sweet bike -- and orange is, of course, the fastest color. Great work, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. It's all looking very tastefully done so far.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home