Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Near Miss

Or, as George Carlin would say, "Near hit."

I left the house at 5:40 AM, and the temperature was 47 degrees F on the front porch. The weather guesser on Channel 4 described conditions as "warm and breezy", and she was right. Of course, in Denver Weather-speak, "breezy" means a sustained 20 mph wind, with gusts to 25, or so.

As is my luck, the wind was from the northwest, as I headed north to the lab. It was okay, though. The warm temps made up for the wind.

At one point on the morning route, I turn east for a few blocks, going slightly uphill. The street I am on, at that point, is the through street. And, except for one 4-way, all of the streets crossing have a stop sign, while I don't.

Taking advantage of the tailwind, I was riding along at a pretty good clip, as a Chevy or GMC SUV pulled up to one of the stop signs, on my right. I kept my eye on him, as I approached the intersection, prepared to hit the brakes if he rolled on through.

Lots of people do that on residential streets at 6:00 AM.

But, he came to a complete halt, and I entered continued on. Then, as my front wheel reached a point directly in front of his driver's side headlight, the guy gunned it off the line.

"Broken leg," I thought to myself, as I watched the high-mounted bumper heading toward me. In the split second it took me to stand up and begin to sprint, I was wondering if I would get completely run over, or if I'd be thrown to the curb on the other side of the street.

VVRRROOOM. All I could hear was his engine. I was up, cranking as hard as I could, grateful for the tailwind, when the bumper of the vehicle passed about a foot behind my rear wheel.

Then, the guy hit the brakes and stopped in the middle of the road.

I was so happy to not get hit, I didn't even think to get mad. My heart was pumping like Uma Thurman's, after the O.D. scene in Pulp Fiction, and I just cruised on up the hill and made my turn to head north, again.

I don't know if it was just one of those instances where he saw me, but I didn't register on his brain or if he just didn't look. Maybe he was taking a sip of coffee.

Maybe he was trying to run me down. I don't know. I really don't even care.

All I care about is, I avoided him.

I'll take a near hit, any day, over the real thing!

x

7 Comments:

At 9:16 PM , Blogger katina said...

DAY-UM! You're one lucky bastard. my guess is that he started going through the intersection while looking down at the radio or some shit like that.

 
At 7:26 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:33 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

Motorists have way to many distractions while driving, ie
-gps
-dvd
-cell phone
-i pod
-coffee
-breakfast
-etc...
I even saw on the news here in Cleveland at the auto show this year that they featured a minivan with a MICROWAVE!!! a freakin' microwave in your car RIDICULOUS.
Just get up a few minutes earlier and get everything done before you leave the house and concentrate on driving if you have to do so.The world would be a lot safer place for it.Thanks I am done ranting now.

 
At 8:19 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

Man, I'm glad you're OK. Good job evading his negligent or malicious driving. This is a good reminder that all a motorist has to do is hit the gas pedal prematurely to lunge forward into your path, whereas it took great effort on your part to speed out of the way. Yikes!

 
At 10:53 AM , Blogger Noah said...

The morons seem to be out in full force lately. More than ever, in fact. Glad you didn't get clipped or worse.

 
At 11:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you avoided him. The crazy people are out in huge numbers recently. In the last week here in CA we have had so many bike vs car accidents. Two up and coming stars got ran over by a police officer when he crossed the double yellow. We had someone hit here in Fresno on a morning commute. I even got hit by a crazy women this last weekend but luckily I was able to slow down and maneuver enough to only take it in the shoulder.

It is a reminder to all riders out there that we are very vulnerable on our bikes. So watch your back and any other bikers out there.

Keep on riding :)

 
At 8:05 AM , Blogger nick said...

man. oh. man. i want to say: way to go. making the effort, goin the extra yard, and not stopping and saying @#*^%!@#!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home