Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, March 15, 2008

More Clubman Goodness

Made a bit of progress on the Clubman, today. I still haven't gotten any rims or spokes, but the small parts are coming together, nicely.


I got a bottom bracket and crank installed. The crank is an SR copy of the classic Campy Record. I like using these Japanese cranks because they have a nice look to them, and I feel that the actual Campy stuff is kinda overkill for this type of bike. Plus, this level of crank would more likely have been installed as OEM equipment, than would the Campy.

The pedals are genuine Campognolo, simply because they were what I had lying around. I just got the leather-covered MKS half clips in the mail from Velo Orange, today.


I also got a cool brass bell, as seen here, from VO, today. It goes well with the leather bar wrap, which is finished at the ends with hemp twine. I'll shellac it, later, when the temperature is a little warmer.

I also mounted up some Weinmann centerpulls and the associated fittings and hardware. They need new pads, of course.

In the lower left hand corner of the picture, Jack moves in for the kill.


So, here it is, as it sits right now. Once I get the wheels built, and the shifter mounted, it will be ready to ride. Well, with a chain and new brake pads, too.

At that point, I will make the final decision on what to do with the finish. I am leaning toward buffing compound, and wax on the existing paint. If it doesn't look like I want it to, I can always do something else, later. I would just like to retain the original paint, if possible because, as they say, once it's gone you can't bring it back.

Plus, I like "patina of age" that the bike has, now.

x

4 Comments:

At 9:58 PM , Blogger getinlost said...

Are you going to stay with those fenders? I ask because I would go with something metal like the Honjo copies that VO is making.

 
At 9:27 AM , Blogger Jon said...

I am definitely sticking with these fenders. They are one of the major reasons I am using this particular frame.

Thes are metal (steel) fenders, they are factory painted rather than chromed or polished alloy. I particularly like the Raleigh logo decal on the rear guard.

If I had not found a frame with stock fenders, I had planned on going with the Honjos.

 
At 6:06 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

The Clubman is coming together quite well.Love the leather bar tape.I wish i would have seen the VO stuff before I splurged for the Brooks on my touring bike,but the little brooksbrooksbrooks throughout it go nicely with the B-17 saddle.

I belive Grant Petersen from Rivendell would call the condition of your frame"beausage"from beauty through usage, so polish it up and call it a day.

 
At 9:37 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

It looks fantastic. I'd be inclined to try to keep that paint job, too. I don't see anything problematic there, but then again it's hard to tell from the photos. I'm loving this build you're doing, and looking forward to seeing the shellaced bars and other changes.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home