Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Pacing A Ride

Yesterday, when we were through with our coffee, Br and I took a casual ride down the bike path. Br was on his new 29er, and I was on the pink bike. The pace was relaxed, what I call a "conversational Pace", which allowed us to talk as we rode, but still required some effort.
It was nice to get out and just ride.
So many weeks, during the winter, I find myself only riding for utility. In other words, I don't get on the bike unless I have somewhere to go. And, while I enjoy every ride, it's really nice to just amble along, with no particular destination in mind, and let the road pass by under your wheels.
We ended up riding about 15 miles, finishing up at my house (of course, Br continued on to his own house, eventually). Sean, from Rol Wheels, pulled up about two minutes after we got here and dropped off my new Volants for the cross bike.

Fancy-schmancy wheels for a guy like me!



I should say "for the cross bike I will soon be building up", since they won't be going onto the LeMond. It is going to do duty as my long-distance road/tour bike, and I hope to build up a race-worthy crosser as parts fall into my hands. I should be able to do a relatively nice build, inexpensively, by the time Cross season rolls around.


Will I race Cross, this year? Maybe, maybe not. But, I want to have a bike available, just in case. More on that as parts/frames come to hand.

In the meantime, I need to start doing some faster-paced rides. Hopefully, the snow will melt, soon, and I will be able to get out on some preparation for training rides. Then, when the weather and daylight allow, I can actually do some hard-effort, long-distance mountain bike rides to start preparing for Moab (and, maybe, Cross season).

x

3 Comments:

At 2:00 PM , Blogger Brendan said...

Yesterday was a beautiful day for a joyride. Today, not so much...

 
At 9:19 PM , Blogger katina said...

OR you could go about this the same way Shawn went about prepping for the MS 150...which is to say, he didn't.

 
At 1:37 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

I'm going to be in the same boat, needing "preparation for training" rides. All of my rides have been commutes the past couple of weeks ... gotta get out and do some real rides!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home