Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Them's The Brake Breaks...

I rode the Red Menace III to the coffee shop, on Saturday, and got back to the house around 11:00.  I leaned the bike up against the garbage can, as I opened the door of the shop building.  The tires were a little low on air, and I figured I might as well pump them up.  As I swung the door open, the bike rolled forward and fell on its right side.

SNAP

A big big snapping sound is never good, in a situation such as that.  Sure enough, when I picked the bike up, the brake lever on the right-hand Campagnolo Ergo shifter was dangling by the cable.  The "carbon" (plastic) pivot had snapped.

I popped it back together, but it was not usable.  GRRRRR!



I ended up replacing the broken unit with an old Dia-Compe lever and a SunRace thumb shifter.  That works really well, but I'd rather have another Ergo Shifter, just for the cosmetics.


  If I can't find a Campy Ergo, I will eventually replace the brake lever with an aero version, and I'll find a nicer thumb shifter to replace the plastic one.

In the meantime, the bike rides great, and I have enjoyed riding it back and forth to work these past two days.

x

3 Comments:

At 6:41 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

You never cease to amaze with your ability to pull parts out of somewhere and solve any tinkering challenge. Nice going...again.

 
At 4:08 AM , Blogger Steve A said...

What amazes me is that there are such a wide variety of parts hanging around, and you can actually find one you need. I envy that combination.

 
At 2:53 PM , Blogger Jon said...

When I had the sell-off of bike parts, a couple of years ago, I retained a small inventory of "essential" parts for repairs. My stock is low, though, especially in the Campy department...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home