Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Temperature Ranges

I was thinking to myself, as I rode my bike to work this morning, that I really like the cool morning temperatures which we enjoy on 90+ degree days. The temperature, this morning, was 62 degrees when I left the house. (Weather Underground says it is 91, currently, at my location.

This is the kind of weather that makes it easy to commute by bike, and that is one reason I chose August as the month in which to start up my daily bike-commute , again.

Oddly, I find that Winter weather makes for an easy commute, as well as Summer weather. The hardest times to commute, for me, are Spring and Autumn. this is because of the wild temperature swings which we experience here, in Denver.

In the Summer, I just have to try and stay as cool as possible. In the winter, I am trying to stay warm. During the transitional seasons, I try to stay warm (but not hot) or cool (but not cold).

This requires quite different clothing in the mornings, when it might be in the high-30s to lower-40s, than what I need for the 60s or 70s of the afternoon. Space is limited, and getting my extra morning clothes home can be a pain (as can layering everything on for the cold, dark ride in to work).

So, it's nice to get back into the habit of riding, every day, while the going is easy.

Fifteen work days in a row, so far...

X

4 Comments:

At 6:49 PM , Blogger Steve A said...

As I've already said - YOU GO GUY!

 
At 7:15 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

Good (and encouraging) to hear the update. I hope you are enjoying the rides.

 
At 5:34 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

I've been thinking a little about that lately, as it's cooled off here.

I use a pannier to carry extra clothes home. The downside is that over time my pannier gets full of stuff I end up carrying back and forth to work, over and over, but not really needing it.

Anyway, sounds to me like you've got a streak going.

 
At 10:05 AM , Blogger Wilson said...

Sometimes it seems to me I do less bicycle commuting in the summer than I do in the winter. But when the winter comes I do not look forward to all the preparation it takes for commuting either.

I agree with Big Oak as well, seems you have generated a good rhythm. Keep up the good work!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home