Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

More Scrambler News

I have wanted a package rack for the Scrambler ever since Brad and I went on our trip up into the mountains, last summer.  I don't need to carry a lot of weight, that far back on the bike, but I would like to have the option of moving the load back just a bit on the seat, without having it droop down onto the fender


You can see that the rack is pretty low capacity.  It is made of solid bar, rather than (stronger) tubing, and it cantilevers back from a single mounting point.

Mounting was straightforward..  Four bolts threaded into existing pre-tapped mounting holes hold the mounting bracket on the bike, and the rack itself bolts onto that with an Allen bolt and nut on each side.

This particular rack has been discontinued.  The new version has a short sissy bar/grab rail built into it.  That prevents you from laying anything flat on both the seat and rack at the same time.  So, I was happy to find this one on eBay.

I am going to add a brace from the center support (it has a pre-drilled hole) to the tail light mount on the rear fender, to add a little more strength and stability.  Even without that, it should work fine for my purposes, though I certainly won't be strapping a tenor sax case across it and riding around, like I did on my Suzuki in high school!

I can't wait to load up and take the first road trip of the year!

x

3 Comments:

At 11:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jonny McGroover - Have you ever been told that you have a nice rack?!

 
At 10:06 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Alla time!

 
At 7:33 AM , Blogger Wilson said...

That looks like a really nice bike. Don't know too much about them but I know the feeling of being on two wheels. Enjoy the ride!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home