Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Rolling Along

I finally got on the rollers that came back to me, recently.  I had loaned them to a fellow, a couple of years ago, and he brought them back about 5 days after I had bought a new set.  Luckily, I hadn't opened the box on the new set...

I set the wheelbase to match up with the Handsome, and got on for a reaquainting ride.  It has been about 5 years since I rode on rollers.  Once I was dong the everyday commute, I didn't feel the need to train in the living room.  It took me about 15 minutes to get comfortable on them, again.

Man, my spin has deteriorated, through the years!  I was riding at anywhere from 95 to 110 rpm cadence, and I really had to concentrate to not bounce up and down on the rollers (a sure way to launch the bike off of them, by the way).  I got myself nice and sweaty, and worked the old cardio-vascular system pretty well, though.

Sweaty, but feeling good!

x

8 Comments:

At 5:37 PM , Blogger TrevorW�� said...

There are a lot of us riding rollers or turbo right now, just like you.
At least when the boredom sets in we can all remember that we are not on our own....

-Trevor

 
At 8:15 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

You guys are making me feel lazy. Wait a minute...I rode outdoors for a couple of hours today. I won't call it training, but that should count for something.

 
At 10:17 PM , Blogger Jon said...

I feel lazy when I am riding the rollers. I just do it because I don't want to deal with weather/wind/traffic/whatever. It allows me to get the physical benefits, but I miss the intangibles of being out.

Hopefully, though, it will help me prepare for the big rides I am planning for this summer.

 
At 6:13 AM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Man, that is eerie. Must be something in the atmosphere. Or maybe something in our heads making us want to ride about inside? A "cyclic" connection?

Sorry about that.

Rollers take a great deal more concentration. I just sit on my trainer and spin away listening to my iPod/Phone.

 
At 10:47 AM , Blogger Christopher said...

Let's see the fat bike on the rollers!

 
At 10:03 PM , Blogger adventure! said...

I know I should say something about rides or rollers, but...that poster in the background intrigues me. The one on the left. What was it from?

(I rode about two miles today. Ah, unemployment and rain. But it was 55F/13C.)

 
At 6:38 AM , Blogger Jon said...

That is a poster for a show at a local club called Herman's Hideaway. I was there for a Rockabilly Night, with 3 or 4 bands playing, and there were copies of that poster all over the place. I liked the art, so I snagged one.

I don't even know what band or show it was advertising. I look at the poster every day, but I don't really read it, if you know what I mean.

If you want a better look at it, let me know and I'll post a close-up picture of it.

 
At 11:58 PM , Blogger adventure! said...

Jon-Ah, you don't have to do that if you don't want to. The poster just caught my eye.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home