Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

New Bars On The Fat Bike

I was talking to Carol, the other day, and I said, "I love the fat bike.  But, the more I ride it, the more I dislike the handlebar."

"Well, change it out," she said.

That made sense to me.  So, today I went over to Cycle Analyst and bought a no-rise Surly Open Bar, and installed it on the bike.

The Open Bar is 666mm wide, and has a pretty good backsweep to it.  This puts my hands in a much more comfortable position.  The original bar was killing my wrists.

Here is a comparison of the two bars.  As you can see, my reach remains pretty much unchanged.  But, the backs of my hands are rotated out, preventing the torsion on my wrists and elbows that I felt with the mtb bar. 

It seems odd to me that I find the mtb riser bar so uncomfortable, now.  I put many thousands of happy miles on similar bars, back in the day.  I suppose I have just been riding on mustache-style bars for so long, now, that I have acclimated to them at the expense of the traditional mtb set-up.


 All the cool bikes have kickstands...


I rode the fat bike to work and back (17.3 miles, round trip) on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of this week.  By the time I was halfway home on Friday,  my right wrist felt like there was a needle sticking into it.  I suspect that these bars will fix that.

Now, to figure out what to do about fenders...

x

4 Comments:

At 6:25 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

Those new bars, to me eye, match the bike better. Looking very good.

 
At 5:03 PM , Blogger Christopher said...

Love it.
I am sure that by the time you are through, that will be the classiest fat sand bike ever.

 
At 4:28 PM , Blogger Wilson said...

I like the new bars too. I look forward to seeing how you resolve your fender issue.
Cheers!

 
At 10:01 PM , Blogger adventure! said...

Like the new Surly bars. Look very North Road-esque. Man, the British knew what they were doing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home