Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, January 20, 2012

It's A Sickness, I Tell Ya...

I think everyone has figured out, by now, that I really like my fat bike.  But, I just can't get comfortable with the thought of using the long Fat Sand Bike frame on tight singletrack, with the switchback turns that the trails around here commonly feature.  And, while I really like commuting on the big tires, I want to do some epic-ish off-road rides on the fat bike.

So...

Brad sent me a link to Tree Fort Bikes, who had last year's Salsa Mukluk framesets on clearance.  After hemming and hawing for a while, I bit the bullet and ordered the frameset.  It arrived, today.

I think it's pretty, even though it isn't orange.

I had planned on swapping parts from the FSB to the Salsa but, apparently, the Salsa frame is not compatible with internally-geared hubs.  So, I have to get, at least, a new wheel, cogset, derailleur and shifter.

Things are never as simple as they seem, at first.

x

5 Comments:

At 7:29 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

I keep telling myself that it's not contagious, but you're starting to scare me.

 
At 7:53 PM , Blogger Wilson said...

Does that mean you're selling the sand bike?

 
At 12:36 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Wilson: I was thinking of keeping it as a commuter. But, it would make more economic sense to sell it. Are you looking for one? Email me at jjgrinder msn com (you know the punctuation).

 
At 12:54 PM , Blogger Christopher said...

So the Salsa needs a 170mm rear hub, but they do sell a spacer to use 135mm hubs, maybe that could be made to work with the Shimano hub?

 
At 4:22 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Christopher: The wheel has to be laced 17mm offset like a Pugsley wheel, in order to keep the chainline usable, if you use the 135mm adapter. That might or might not work on my existing wheel, but it would also make it non-interchangeable between the frames.

Plus, the internal brake has a torque arm which needs to be attached to the chainstay. So, that would be a problem as well.

I just bought a new wheel to avoid all of that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home