Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Evolution

The fat bike continues to take shape.

I took the black Brooks B-17 saddle off of the ti Funk, and mounted it on the fatty.  The comfort level immediately jumped up about 1000 points.  I also aired the tires up to 20 psi, front and rear.  I had ridden down to the coffee shop, and back at 10 psi, and I wondered if the low pressure affected the feel of the bike.

D Funk test-rode it, while we were leaving, as did Dave from behind the counter.  Both of them mentioned the weird "dropping to one side" feel that the bike had, just as you initiated a turn.  After I aired the tires to 20 psi, though, the handing became much more normal.  Plus, it rolls a bit more easily, now, as well.

The Shimano Nexus 8-speed rear hub shifts nicely.  I have never owned an internally-geared hub with more than three speeds, before, and I am pretty impressed with the operation of the hub.  I may eventually put a 2 or 3-ring crank on the bike to give me the ultra-low granny gear I would want to ride up some of the Front Range climbs, but the current set-up seems fine for around Denver.

I replaced the saddle on the Funk with a brand-new Honey Brown B-17 that I ordered from Nashbar, a while back.  A combination of sale price, one-day-only price reduction and free shipping got the saddle to my door for $69.00.  I had to wait about 12 weeks, because they were out of stock, but at that price I won't complain.  Eventually, I will rewrap the bars with some brown tape, or something.  Maybe some Ergon grips...?

I also put these new pedals, from Performance, on the Funk.  They have a lower profile than the older model, but with the same size platform.  They are quite a bit lighter in weight, and the color matches the ti frame a bit better than the old black pedals.  I bought these for this bike, after swapping the older pedals over to the fat bike.

So now, with the addition of the fat bike, I have 11 bikes on which I have to take at least one epic ride, this year.  Tomorrow is new Year's Day, but I haven't really planned my annual ride.  I think I might keep it solitary, this year.  Turnout has been pretty light, the last couple of years, anyway.

I think I might just take the fat bike out for the afternoon, and get acquainted.

x

4 Comments:

At 3:48 PM , Blogger Wilson said...

It really is fantastic that you have so many bikes from which to swap out parts. That's a great position to be in. Also, I can't get over the price you paid for the new Brooks saddle. In Canada, on sale, that would run $150.

 
At 5:59 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Yeah, that's the result of being in the business for 20 years, now.

I was stunned by the cost of the saddle, myself. If you pay attention, those deals come around, every now and then. You just have to be flexible on the timing...

 
At 7:27 AM , Blogger Big Oak said...

The fat bike is cool! I imagine with that much rubber the tires would roll to the side if the pressure is too low.

 
At 11:25 AM , Blogger Christopher said...

I think that is the first time a leather saddle was put on one of these fat tire cruisers. I am glad that you are still enjoying the bike, I have not heard many good reviews of that bike, vs. the Surly or Salsa, but if anyone can make it work it's you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home