Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Be Careful About What You Wish For

About an hour after posting, yesterday, about how boring the past week was, I decided to get my bike ready for today's commute.  I had been off work for three days, and most of the snow which I had ridden in last week was gone.

I went out to the shop building to get the commuter bike, then decided to pull out the XO-2, and install my big Basil canvas panniers on it.  I had a bunch of stuff to carry to work, and the Basils are huge, actually a little too big to use on a regular basis. So they work well for these occasional large loads.

I brought the bike into the house, and started strapping the bags on.  As I did so, I spun the rear wheel around and noticed it was out of true.

Back out to the shop to get a spoke wrench.  I figured I'd just do a quick, on-the-bike, truing and wait until it was more convenient to to actually put the wheel in the truing stand. As I adjusted spoke tension, though, the rim didn't seem to be responding, very well.

I got down for a closer look.  This is what I found:

Another Mavic 217 bites the dust. 

I think, over the years, that I may have been responsible for the destruction of about half of the total production run of these rims. 

I couldn't find a replacement 217, in 32 holes, at an affordable price, last night.  They are out of production, and eBay is about the only place I know of to look. 

So, I got a pair of Mavic 317s, to replace both rims.  The new rims are black, with machined braking surfaces.  I don't want black rims on this bike, so I may take them down to Lee at Prestige Powder Coat, and have him bead last them.

Or, I might just build them up, as is, and not worry about it.  (This is the most likely scenario.)

Either way, that'll teach me to complain that nothing blog-worthy had happened, lately.

x

4 Comments:

At 6:41 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Yeow! That really sucks. I agree with you, I prefer non-black rims, but I'm not THAT picky about it ...

 
At 7:33 PM , Blogger katina said...

At least it didn't happen while you were riding...

 
At 8:11 PM , Blogger Steve A said...

I ALMOST noted on your last post that "just when the commute seems really routine, something always seems to happen - like a flat or a major component breaks." Now, I'm really glad I refrained or else you'd wonder if somehow I caused the problem.

OTOH, I was feeling the same way on Friday right before I got my flat and discovered the pump didn't seem to fit the valve just as my family had left town. So I feel your pain. At least you discovered it at home.

 
At 5:13 AM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Well that's a bummer! Glad you were able to find some replacement rims quickly.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home